Not applicable

CNN Money story about "Credit Cards From Hell"

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

Re: CNN Money story about "Credit Cards From Hell"

nice

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 18
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Visa Black card is on the list? Smiley Very Happy

My JCP card is also on the list, should I ditch it? Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 18
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I didn't even know about the visa black card. Seems like a total rip off...lol, "1% on airfare purchases", and then access to VIP lounges at airports...for 495$ a year? My card gets 1% cash back on...everything, for no AF...if I was gonna spend 495$ a year on a card, I would get the amex platinum. lol.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do all JCP cards have an apr of 26.99%?  I have a pre-approved app but it didn't list that info.

Message 5 of 18
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do all JCP cards have an apr of 26.99%?  I have a pre-approved app but it didn't list that info.

All do.

Message 6 of 18
marty56
Super Contributor

Sadly BofA did not make it on the listSmiley Sad

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 18
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Interesting article. Goes to show, those whom are down on their luck, could possibly be shoved a little lower. Do be careful of any credit card companies residing and issuing credit in South Dakota, as they have no limit on user/monthly fees and almost limitless credit apr over 55%. At 55% apr, a $100.00 balance would grow to $200.00 in one year and four months. Talk about going backwards fast! Folks, beware and informed! It is YOUR money they are accepting/taking.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 8 of 18
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

I did not see CAP 1 on their list which I find interesting based on threads I have read here...

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 9 of 18
FrugalRican
Blogger

I don't like it when cards get called out based on APR. I get the annual fee, processing fee, whatever fee... but really, the APR?

Almost any store card is going to have an APR of 25%+. That's a given. Don't carry a balance. Simple.

I wish they did an article with "Mainstream credit cards from hell". Some of these are so off-the-wall and I'm sure most "knowledgable customers" wouldn't touch those with a 10 foot pole... then again, there is a reason they still exist.

And why are all these articles nowadays making me click 9 times to read the whole thing! Argh!

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.