Established Contributor

Cabela's finds buyer for credit card business but unnamed

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Cabela's finds buyer for credit card business but unnamed

Guess we'll have to wait for more info to come out down the road

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 20
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

My guess is that Bank of America is getting their credit card business if Bass Pro ends up buying Cabelas. It's how I interpreted the article at least.

According to the Post, the deal is contingent on the sale of the retail part of the business and would be formalized at the same time such a deal is struck.

The newspaper said the team of Goldman Sachs Capital Partners and Bass Pro Shops remains the favorite to buy the company, which has a market value of about $3.3 billion.

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Filed-September 2020 Discharged-December 2020
Kohl's Credit Card $3000 Limit (Opened October 2016) Survived Bankruptcy for whatever reason
Closed Capital One Venture One $3000 Limit (Opened December 2020, Closed by me September 2022 since I wanted the SavorOne and couldn't product change to it)
Capital One Auto Loan (Opened March 2021)
Capital One Cabela's $5000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
America First Credit Union Visa $1000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
Capital One SavorOne $5000 Limit (Opened September 2022)
Sam's Club Mastercard Synchrony Bank $2500 Limit (Opened March 30 2023) (Burned Synchrony in my CH7 BK, One card with a $745 balance)
Idaho Central Credit Union ICCU Visa $10,000 Limit (Opened April 2023)
Message 3 of 20
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

Found this dated July 18, 2016

Worth noting too the card has 9.99% APR for purchases made in Cabelas or on their website or through their catalog, If it gets sold that could go away and the rate could go up to a more standard retail store APR (20%+)

http://www.omaha.com/money/cabela-s-bank-draws-interest-but-a-sale-could-be/article_97898841-f2a3-52...

Some big players reportedly have been interested in the credit-card operation. Citing unidentified sources, Reuters news service reported in April that at least five companies were vying for the portfolio: Citigroup Inc., Bank of America Corp., Capital One Financial Corp., Toronto-Dominion Bank and Synchrony Financial.

~~~~

At least one analyst — Jamie Friedman of Susquehanna Financial Group — thinks that Synchrony, the largest private-label credit card issuer, is the most likely to win the portfolio.

I really hope it isn't Synchrony, ughhhh

Kohl's Credit Card $3000 Limit (Opened October 2016) Survived Bankruptcy for whatever reason
Closed Capital One Venture One $3000 Limit (Opened December 2020, Closed by me September 2022 since I wanted the SavorOne and couldn't product change to it)
Sam's Club Mastercard Synchrony Bank $2500 Limit (Opened March 30 2023) (Burned Synchrony in my CH7 BK, One card with a $745 balance)
Message 4 of 20
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

I'll close my account if it goes to Synchrony... I like the thought of Citi and BofA though
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im with you on the sychrony. 

Message 6 of 20
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I think it depends on the terms, Citi retail cards carry very high APR's, Cap-1 is an auto-closure for me, TD bank is no treasure and GE/Sync is also known for high APR's - BoA would be the best bet and they back Bass Pro at higher APR. I've got a $10k CL Cabela's card that is slated for my next round of thinning the herd, and unless the new "buyer" offers something unique, I'll be closing it anyway. GE/Sync does offer zero percent financing on a lot of their accounts (Amazon, Golfsmith, CareCredit ,etc) that would be worthwhile. 

Message 7 of 20
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Looks like the card end of things is still up in the air being actively negotiated and it might land who knows where yet.

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Looks like the card end of things is still up in the air being actively negotiated and it might land who knows where yet.

BOA is swimming for the Gold 🏅

Message 9 of 20
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like we'll hear something soon.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cabela-s-m-a-idUSKCN11Z2RL

http://www.omaha.com/money/report-cabela-s-to-receive-two-acquisition-bids-by-the/article_b5281ec4-8...

Two consortia have formed to make offers to buy Cabela's Inc this week, people familiar with the matter said, making the sale of the U.S. outdoor gear retailer, which has been targeted by activist fund Elliott Management Corp, more likely.

Privately held retailer Bass Pro Shops, which has partnered with Goldman Sachs Group Inc's  private equity arm, is now working on a bid with U.S. bank Capital One Financial Corp, which is interested in Cabela's credit card business, the sources said on Thursday.

Private equity firm Sycamore Partners has formed its own consortium with U.S. credit card company Synchrony Financial to make an offer, the sources added. Binding bids for Cabela's are due this week, the people said.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.