Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cabela's finds buyer for credit card business but unnamed

tag
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Re: Cabela's finds buyer for credit card business but unnamed

Hoping it goes to Capital One or BofA and not Synchrony... Cabelas WFB has been good to me
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditplz wrote:
Hoping it goes to Capital One or BofA and not Synchrony... Cabelas WFB has been good to me
I used to hope it went to BOA, too until I recently finally got in with BOA. So, now, quite selfishly, I'm hoping it goes to CitiBank, as I still haven't been able to get in with them.

Message 12 of 20
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Yeah Citi would be a good fit but from what I'm reading now I haven't seen Citi anywhere Smiley Sad! Really hope it's BofA or Citi above Cap1
Message 13 of 20
gibeon
Established Contributor

Looks like Sync and CapOne are in the running...

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cabela-s-m-a-idUSKCN11Z2RL

23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

What a buzz kill. Very disappointing news.
Message 15 of 20
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

Interesting that Bass Pro has teamed up with Capital One since the Bass Pro Credit card is issued by Bank of America.

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Filed-September 2020 Discharged-December 2020
Kohl's Credit Card $3000 Limit (Opened October 2016) Survived Bankruptcy for whatever reason
Closed Capital One Venture One $3000 Limit (Opened December 2020, Closed by me September 2022 since I wanted the SavorOne and couldn't product change to it)
Capital One Auto Loan (Opened March 2021)
Capital One Cabela's $5000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
America First Credit Union Visa $1000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
Capital One SavorOne $5000 Limit (Opened September 2022)
Sam's Club Mastercard Synchrony Bank $2500 Limit (Opened March 30 2023) (Burned Synchrony in my CH7 BK, One card with a $745 balance)
Idaho Central Credit Union ICCU Visa $10,000 Limit (Opened April 2023)
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Royalbacon wrote:

Interesting that Bass Pro has teamed up with Capital One since the Bass Pro Credit card is issued by Bank of America.

It could be that Bass Pro knows that BoA has stricter underwriting than Cap One and with the number of Cabela's Club Visas Capital One would be a better fit? Bass Pro may switch if they win, who knows but Worlds Formost Bank seems to be closer to Cap One than BoA in underwriting. 

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

For my part, I rushed to hit the love button on Cabela's site. They've turned me down the other 2 times I tried since I got the card in Nov/Dec 2015 with a $3,000 limit. But my UT is looking awesome at about 7% and I have several large limits on other cards since then. I also reasoned that perhaps they'd look favorably on increasing my limit with the impending sale. It may be silly, but I hoped they'd want to increase limits where they could for a higher price.

Crossed fingers and heard nothing for about 3 days. Then this morning I got an alert. Logged in and found my new limit to be $10,000! So happy. Don't know (and never will know) if my reasoning had much to do with it, but there it is! Now whomever buys them, I won't need to take my chances, begging for an increase from the new issuer. And if it's CapOne, so much the better, as I've been stuck at $6k on their two cards, with no hope of another increase until the next 6 month mark in February 2017. 

Message 18 of 20
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Royalbacon wrote:

It could be that Bass Pro knows that BoA has stricter underwriting than Cap One and with the number of Cabela's Club Visas Capital One would be a better fit? Bass Pro may switch if they win, who knows but Worlds Formost Bank seems to be closer to Cap One than BoA in underwriting. 

Stumbled upon this via Google http://www.omaha.com/money/cabela-s-credit-card-business-is-a-cash-cow-that/article_be435391-5599-5121-a168-1ad3bc2f0472.html

And Cabela’s $4.6 billion credit card portfolio is the envy of the industry, analysts say.

The median FICO score of Cabela’s cardholders is an eye-popping 795 out of a possible 850.

“That’s a really high median score. I can pretty much promise that the median for most retailers is not that high,” said Matt Schulz, senior industry analyst at CreditCards.com

Cabela’s cardholders also carry balances on their accounts; the average outstanding cardholder balance grew 59 percent to more than $3,900 from 2010 to 2014.

And thats a good point too, Bass Pro could very well just switch their entire credit card business to Capital One if they get it.

One thing though.The Cabelas card has 9.99% interest for purchases made in Cabelas or at their website. Don't be shocked when it gets sold if the interest goes up to normal retail store interest rates like 24-27%. To those that carry balances, especially huge balances (and theres a lot of them considering it said the average outstanding cardholder balance is more then $3900) you better hope not haha. 

Kohl's Credit Card $3000 Limit (Opened October 2016) Survived Bankruptcy for whatever reason
Closed Capital One Venture One $3000 Limit (Opened December 2020, Closed by me September 2022 since I wanted the SavorOne and couldn't product change to it)
Sam's Club Mastercard Synchrony Bank $2500 Limit (Opened March 30 2023) (Burned Synchrony in my CH7 BK, One card with a $745 balance)
Message 19 of 20
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like Bass Pro is in the lead

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cabelas-m-a-basspro-idUSKCN1220UP

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.