Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Data Breach

tag
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Data Breach

@gdale6 wrote:
And they all sit there and laugh. Equifax will pay 17% of one years profit for their epic breech, they are laughing as well, so will Cap-1 after the lawsuits, the people will get nearly zilch. Sick of it all.

The barristers that sign the most clients to their class-action filing will make out like bandits!

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 11 of 45
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

We need to do away with SSN all together and go to something else. part of the problem is they are still working on 30 year computers! A 5 yro could break the firewall! Probably still working off DOS, LOL..

Message 12 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder how long they keep a person's info on file after closing an account? lol

Also seems like their first go to is credit monitering, well don't most people already have that service these days? 

Perhaps going forward tech company software engineers should have to go through riggorous background checks;

What would compel someone, in a  soomewhat decent career field, to do something of this nature? 

When i think of "hacker" I think of someone wronged in some way and trying to get back at the Company, but those 100K affected people were wronged in the process. Or some rogue just out to cause kaos.

This kind of thing definitely makes a person think twice about having their info "out" there, what's worse is that these Companies want even more unrestricted access to it. yet don't want to secure it properly!

Message 13 of 45
forestgreenrover
Regular Contributor

What I don't understand is this person should've been living very comfortably as a pen tester. Perhaps she was, I suppose, but she's obviously talented. Why in the hell would you go to jail over it? My guess is she had a couple of bucketed cards and decided to stick it to them after poking around a bit! Smiley Surprised

AmEx Gold, BECU Cash Back 38k, PSECU Founders Visa Sig 30k, IKEA Projekt 28k, NFCU CashRewards 28k, Macy's AmEx 25k, NFCU More Rewards 24.5k, PNC Cash Rewards Visa Sig 20k, PNC Core 20k, Lowe's 17k, Overstock.com 16k, NFCU Plat 15.3k, FNBO Visa 12.3k, AmEx BCP 12k, AmEx EDP 12k, Citi DC 11k, AmEx Delta Gold SkyMiles 10k, PayPal 2% 10k, NFCU CLOC 10k, BBVA Clear Points 9.5k, Amazon Store 8k, Discover it 7.9k, PenFed Power Cash 6.25k, Kay 5.25k, Huntington Voice Plat 5.1k, J.Crew 4.5k, 5/3rd Trio 4k, Citizens Cash Back+ 3.8k, BB&T Bright 3.5k, BB&T Spectrum CR 3.5k, WF Cash Wise 3k, Huntington Voice Rewards 2.9k, WF Propel 2k, BECU Visa 2k, Citi Goodyear 1.9k, Cap 1 QS 1.75k, Cap 1 QS 1.45k
Message 14 of 45
forestgreenrover
Regular Contributor

What the heck?

AmEx Gold, BECU Cash Back 38k, PSECU Founders Visa Sig 30k, IKEA Projekt 28k, NFCU CashRewards 28k, Macy's AmEx 25k, NFCU More Rewards 24.5k, PNC Cash Rewards Visa Sig 20k, PNC Core 20k, Lowe's 17k, Overstock.com 16k, NFCU Plat 15.3k, FNBO Visa 12.3k, AmEx BCP 12k, AmEx EDP 12k, Citi DC 11k, AmEx Delta Gold SkyMiles 10k, PayPal 2% 10k, NFCU CLOC 10k, BBVA Clear Points 9.5k, Amazon Store 8k, Discover it 7.9k, PenFed Power Cash 6.25k, Kay 5.25k, Huntington Voice Plat 5.1k, J.Crew 4.5k, 5/3rd Trio 4k, Citizens Cash Back+ 3.8k, BB&T Bright 3.5k, BB&T Spectrum CR 3.5k, WF Cash Wise 3k, Huntington Voice Rewards 2.9k, WF Propel 2k, BECU Visa 2k, Citi Goodyear 1.9k, Cap 1 QS 1.75k, Cap 1 QS 1.45k
Message 15 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Basically anyone with a business card who is a sole proprietor 

Message 16 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spoke to a post office employee a few months ago that said their system was hacked several years ago and it STILL wreaks havoc on her. Not just because of her SSN, but because of her banking info. She said she's gone through numerous times and closed accounts and changed direct deposits, etc, just for it to all be accessed again. She said finally she just started using a prepaid debit card for DD and an investment account for cash she wouldn't have to access immediately, because it had more stringent requirements to pull funds out of it (maybe even going to a branch or something). When I see things like this, that's what I'm concerned with. My reports are locked...the rest of my financial life isn't!
Message 17 of 45
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Blockchain couldn't come up with a better marketing campaign than this hot steaming pile of mess.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 18 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikesonthemend wrote:

Blockchain couldn't come up with a better marketing campaign than this hot steaming pile of mess.

https://www.coinisseur.com/blockchain-has-been-hacked-several-times-and-its-getting-more-frequent/

The bottom line is that as long as companies aren’t forced to implement an offline system for storing sensitive data that isn’t connected to any system with internet access, this will continue to happen. 

Message 19 of 45
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mikesonthemend wrote:

https://www.coinisseur.com/blockchain-has-been-hacked-several-times-and-its-getting-more-frequent/

The bottom line is that as long as companies aren’t forced to implement an offline system for storing sensitive data, this will continue to happen. 

Good to know! I knew hot wallets were vulnerable. Sheesh. Cash under the mattress and weapons are all we can count on.

Message 20 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.