Capital One Data Breach

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Data Breach

@mikesonthemend wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mikesonthemend wrote:

Blockchain couldn't come up with a better marketing campaign than this hot steaming pile of mess.

https://www.coinisseur.com/blockchain-has-been-hacked-several-times-and-its-getting-more-frequent/

The bottom line is that as long as companies aren’t forced to implement an offline system for storing sensitive data, this will continue to happen. 

Good to know! I knew hot wallets were vulnerable. Sheesh. Cash under the mattress and weapons are all we can count on.

I mean...that's my plan

Message 21 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikesonthemend wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mikesonthemend wrote:

Blockchain couldn't come up with a better marketing campaign than this hot steaming pile of mess.

https://www.coinisseur.com/blockchain-has-been-hacked-several-times-and-its-getting-more-frequent/

The bottom line is that as long as companies aren’t forced to implement an offline system for storing sensitive data, this will continue to happen. 

Good to know! I knew hot wallets were vulnerable. Sheesh. Cash under the mattress and weapons are all we can count on.

Because humans are imperfect beings, any system created by humans will always be vulnerable when the right human or group of humans comes along. 

Message 22 of 45
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mikesonthemend wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mikesonthemend wrote:

Because humans are imperfect beings, any system created by humans will always be vulnerable when the right human or group of humans comes along. 

Some wise men 243 years ago understood that.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 23 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I found out about this news, I decided to give them a call and told them I wasn't pleased about it and want to double check if my info is shared and told them I would close all accounts, it's too dangerous. The agent on the phone was nice and told me CapOne will offer free credit montioring and all that. I told that, it's worthless and I want some sort of credit instead mabe $50 statement credit due to this. She said she is not authorized at this time so I'll call back when the case gets more updated.

Message 24 of 45
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When I found out about this news, I decided to give them a call and told them I wasn't pleased about it and want to double check if my info is shared and told them I would close all accounts, it's too dangerous. The agent on the phone was nice and told me CapOne will offer free credit montioring and all that. I told that, it's worthless and I want some sort of credit instead mabe $50 statement credit due to this. She said she is not authorized at this time so I'll call back when the case gets more updated.

I was thinking we should "organize" and start some grievance campaign. They always look like a party, something fun and celebratory. I am a victim and I want my time in the sun!

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 25 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

So yet another Amazon Web Services attack. In the complaint filing (PDF link) with the U.S. district court they call it the "Cloud Computing Company", but everyone knows who the company is at this point.

The way into AWS is so well known at this point. I mean, it's just so simple to avoid what happened in this case.

"If you can, use IP whitelisting to limit access to your web applications. AWS makes it very easy to limit specific ports and traffic only from specific IP addresses. This is all managed through a tool called “Security Groups.” They’re super easy to set up."

( Secure Cloud Computing: 7 Ways I’d Hack You On AWS )

The perpetrator even wrote on a Slack channel: "i'm like ipredator > tor > s3 on all this ****"

IPredator is a VPN. TOR is the The Onion Router network. IP whitelisting would have stopped any connection from a TOR exit node. 2-factor authentication with geofencing is pretty common too. I have to use it just to access one-way read-only factory floor machine data.

Oh well...it's just bank data, right?

Message 26 of 45
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So yet another Amazon Web Services attack. In the complaint filing (PDF link) with the U.S. district court they call it the "Cloud Computing Company", but everyone knows who the company is at this point.

The way into AWS is so well known at this point. I mean, it's just so simple to avoid what happened in this case.

"If you can, use IP whitelisting to limit access to your web applications. AWS makes it very easy to limit specific ports and traffic only from specific IP addresses. This is all managed through a tool called “Security Groups.” They’re super easy to set up."

( Secure Cloud Computing: 7 Ways I’d Hack You On AWS )

The perpetrator even wrote on a Slack channel: "i'm like ipredator > tor > s3 on all this ****"

IPredator is a VPN. TOR is the The Onion Router network. IP whitelisting would have stopped any connection from a TOR exit node. 2-factor authentication with geofencing is pretty common too. I have to use it just to access one-way read-only factory floor machine data.

Oh well...it's just bank data, right?

And now they are the cloud provider for the Pentagon. Bezos used to only hate those he wrote checks to. Now he is screwing all of us.

Message 27 of 45
800FICOGoal
Established Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:
And they all sit there and laugh. Equifax will pay 17% of one years profit for their epic breech, they are laughing as well, so will Cap-1 after the lawsuits, the people will get nearly zilch. Sick of it all.

As part of the compensation, how about Cap1 being forced to graduate/unbucket the secured cards of anyone affected. Smiley Indifferent

Rebuild Cards

Goal Cards

Loans
Message 28 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to start the campagin that will allow anyone who can join and if we get lots of people and I'll make sure to send to CapOne and we should deserve some credit. Stay tuned.

Message 29 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm going to start the campagin that will allow anyone who can join and if we get lots of people and I'll make sure to send to CapOne and we should deserve some credit. Stay tuned.

This only makes the problem worse. Because instead of fixing the problem they will just toss a few bucks at everyone. They have not even notified customers who were affected yet. If were indeed one of the hacked your financial life could be damaged beyond $50. Why are you so in a hurry to get $50 now? 

In a real world situation it works like this. Company decides they can save $5 a unit by going with likely to to fail widget A vs. less likely to fail widget B. If widget A fails company might have a payout of $50 million.  But using said cheap widget made the company $100 million. Company chooses cheap widget 100% of the time.

Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.