Capital One Data Breach

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Data Breach

@mikesonthemend wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mikesonthemend wrote:

Blockchain couldn't come up with a better marketing campaign than this hot steaming pile of mess.

https://www.coinisseur.com/blockchain-has-been-hacked-several-times-and-its-getting-more-frequent/

The bottom line is that as long as companies aren’t forced to implement an offline system for storing sensitive data, this will continue to happen. 

Good to know! I knew hot wallets were vulnerable. Sheesh. Cash under the mattress and weapons are all we can count on.

Remember, smoking in bed will throw this option out the window Smiley Sad

Message 31 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm ... "humans aren't perfect" ... think about the predictions going back 50+ years that say the Earth can not support more than 10 Billion people and we will more than out strip our resources to keep everyone alive. The world will turn to chaos! We are over 7 Billion now. Lack of Food for thought! Smiley Sad So, maybe stealing all our information will be for naught?! Smiley Frustrated

Message 32 of 45
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

And for the hacker to boast on social media about her impending misdeed. I guess this was her one-day in the sun while million of people whose information is exposed suffer. Just SMH in disgust.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 33 of 45
DoogieBall
Regular Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:
And for the hacker to boast on social media about her impending misdeed. I guess this was her one-day in the sun while million of people whose information is exposed suffer. Just SMH in disgust.

She'll probably get hired at an eight-figure salary by Cap1 and all other CC companies to beef up their online security.

R.I.P Cards 

Message 34 of 45
bergrides
Regular Contributor

I went to the Capital One site, and they have a link to a page about the breach.  I just had to shake my head at the following statement in that page.  I guess they figure the statement "No bank account numbers or Social Security numbers were compromised, other than:" makes it better - unreal:

Annotation 2019-07-30 100051.png

Message 35 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does that mean debt forgivness for those of us with active accounts with them? SMH. Bet some or most will only get free equifax or experian services and call it a day. 

Message 36 of 45
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

Capital One Accounts Compromised

So I was logging into my Capital One account when I noticed a link at the top that said, "Click here for information on Capital One's cyber incident." 

Here's a snapshot of what happened: 

I especially like the part where they say "No bank account numbers or social security numbers were compromised, other than..." 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 37 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mikesonthemend wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So yet another Amazon Web Services attack. In the complaint filing (PDF link) with the U.S. district court they call it the "Cloud Computing Company", but everyone knows who the company is at this point.

The way into AWS is so well known at this point. I mean, it's just so simple to avoid what happened in this case.

"If you can, use IP whitelisting to limit access to your web applications. AWS makes it very easy to limit specific ports and traffic only from specific IP addresses. This is all managed through a tool called “Security Groups.” They’re super easy to set up."

( Secure Cloud Computing: 7 Ways I’d Hack You On AWS )

The perpetrator even wrote on a Slack channel: "i'm like ipredator > tor > s3 on all this ****"

IPredator is a VPN. TOR is the The Onion Router network. IP whitelisting would have stopped any connection from a TOR exit node. 2-factor authentication with geofencing is pretty common too. I have to use it just to access one-way read-only factory floor machine data.

Oh well...it's just bank data, right?

And now they are the cloud provider for the Pentagon. Bezos used to only hate those he wrote checks to. Now he is screwing all of us.

It's not really AWS that's at fault, as it does provide the necessary controls.   It's that companies using it don't always set it up correctly, exactly as with anything else!

Message 38 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does that mean debt forgivness for those of us with active accounts with them? SMH. Bet some or most will only get free equifax or experian services and call it a day. 

Well, in general apart from punitive damages,  settlements are meant to be proportionate to actual damages.   My guess is that most people aren't going to be harmed in a way that justifies more than free monitoring.

The $125 from Equifax will be nice though

Message 39 of 45
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:
And they all sit there and laugh. Equifax will pay 17% of one years profit for their epic breech, they are laughing as well, so will Cap-1 after the lawsuits, the people will get nearly zilch. Sick of it all.

Yes to this. Laws should be changed that automatically force companies to pay penalties to customers affected. On top of actual damages the customer incurs. We all know that will never happen though.

I love spending my morning changing username, passwords, secret questions, etc. really tests how much your anxiety can take before meltdown.

Message 40 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.