Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One fined $290M for ‘willful’ anti-money-laundering failures

tag
donotpassgo
Valued Member

Capital One fined $290M for ‘willful’ anti-money-laundering failures

Capital One’s egregious failures allowed known criminals to use and abuse our nation’s financial system unchecked, fostering criminal activity and allowing it to continue and flourish at the expense of victims and other citizens,” Blanco said. “These kinds of failures by financial institutions, regardless of their size and believed influence, will not be tolerated.”

https://www.americanbanker.com/news/capital-one-fined-290m-for-willful-anti-money-laundering-failure...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
fuzzle
Regular Contributor

Re: Capital One fined $290M for ‘willful’ anti-money-laundering failures

minor cost of business, they spend that much every month on advertising

Message 2 of 8
edwardw818

Yet us law-abiding citizens have to kinda play hell with them for everything else; my experiences have been both a blessing and curse.

Starting (May 2016):
Dec 2022: (Boosted)
Goal: 750 or better FICO across the board, buying a house with lowest possible interest... Maybe AmEx Centurion? J/K

Current (in order of limit):

Former:
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@donotpassgo 

It's ironic or scary how big banks get away with stuff like this. If me or you did this we would be in Federal Prison for decades but when the big banks do it they get "slapped on the wrist" and a small fine relative to there annual profit margins. It's crazy. 

Message 4 of 8
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Put Capital One fined into your favorite internet search engine you will see a long list. After they were fined last year I made a decision to close all of my accounts with them. Soon as the last account matures it is gone I can get better rates else where. I will not be a Capital One customer directly or indirectly ever.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AndySoCal wrote:

Put Capital One fined into your favorite internet search engine you will see a long list. After they were fined last year I made a decision to close all of my accounts with them. Soon as the last account matures it is gone I can get better rates else where. I will not be a Capital One customer directly or indirectly ever.

That's because fines only punish those who can't afford them. They're nothing more than a nuisance for a company the size of Capital One. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well in old old day fines were a way to get said offenders into some kind of indentured service, which was ultimately made up of the poor commoners because obviously the rich could pay their fines.

Message 7 of 8
GApeachy
Super Contributor

There I was thinking the apr reductions on hold were because of the Pandemic....and all the other perks that flew out the 2020 window as well.  Who knows?

So is it US or THEM paying this fine?  (let me guess)

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.