Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash Cards Better Than Travel-Even for Travelers

tag
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: Cash Cards Better Than Travel-Even for Travelers

A prime example of this is CSR ur points can be cash, transferred to partners or 1.50x on their travel portal. Cash has the least redemption value.
Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 11 of 15
yfan
Valued Contributor

@redpat wrote:
A prime example of this is CSR ur points can be cash, transferred to partners or 1.50x on their travel portal. Cash has the least redemption value.

That is to say that travel cards are designed in such a way that for their rewards, a travel redemption is higher value, or at least it appears to be a higher a value. But that is not to say that using optimized cashback instead and using that rewards cash to either find a discount deal or bargain for one (oh yes, those exist for cash sales) can't be just as cost effective or more so. Another benefit of a cashback card is that you can use the cashback to pay for your credit card bill for the travel, but because you are using the card to book, you will also earn cashback on the booking. You don't earn rewards on the points portion of a trip booked with points.

"Travel" cards also tend to come with an AF more than do cashback cards.

Not saying travel cards can't be an important and simple way to feel rewarded, and if redemptions like first class tickets on international flights is valuable to you, then by all means travel cards are the way to go. But for bargain hunters, I tend to be partial to cashback.

Message 12 of 15
redpat
Senior Contributor

You earn points and miles on redeeming MR, TY and UR points for airline and hotel stays on their travel portal. You wouldn't use MR points for booking a hotel though because that redemption sucks.
Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 13 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I don't always see a strong correlation between the value I get from a card and the amount I spend on it. Spending matters for to some degree, but I get more value from bonuses and perks.

I spend a lot on Prestige, but not a lot on Platinum or IHG, for example.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 14 of 15
redpat
Senior Contributor

No question the perks are a big part of plat and prestige cards.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.