Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Contactless (Blink) Being Discontinued

tag
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

Chase Contactless (Blink) Being Discontinued

I'm a little bummed, but not surprised.  The contactless idea never really took off, and merchants that used to accept it have mostly removed the option when replacing payment terminals or have turned the function off.

Chase replaces more MasterCards, discontinues Blink

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Contactless (Blink) Being Discontinued

Is not that contactless never took off, is that the future of contactless comes from smartphone rather than a plastic.

Chase is a partner of ISIS, a contactless payment system.

Message 2 of 8
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

that's good news, right? Contactless is pretty fraudulent-prone. I feel unsafe carrying my Chase Freedom around without a RFID blocker.

Message 3 of 8
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

Is this effective as of today? I would like to get rid of my contactless Freedom card.

Message 4 of 8
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@MASTERNC wrote:

I'm a little bummed, but not surprised.  The contactless idea never really took off, and merchants that used to accept it have mostly removed the option when replacing payment terminals or have turned the function off.

Chase replaces more MasterCards, discontinues Blink

Ironically, my Chase Freedom Visa cards (personal and business) currently both have "BLINK" and are valid until 2015 unless they reissue sooner.

The Freedom MC that they're converting was BLINK when it was PC'd from some other MC they'd discontinued, but the Freedom didn't come in as BLINK-enabled.

I suppose they're just setting the tone that as they replace MCs with Visas, the replacement cards won't have BLINK, and as Visas are reissured, they won't have BLINK either.

I also observed that I had a high number of declined charges when trying to use the AmEx contactless system, but if I swiped, it would work every time, even after a contactless decline.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know. I had a "Blink" card from Chase and replaced it. Always concerned about the RFID and found few merchants where I live who took it. Chase did not replace my Blink card due to lack of use. Now they informed me I will loose my Chase Freedom Master Card. Do not need another Visa Card. Unfortunately for me today, Chase does not offer a card to p/c to that would better fit my needs. Sock draw the Chase Freedom Visa Card with a $13.5 CL seems a shame. Switched to a Barclays Sallie Mae Master Card and love the benefits with no contactless option.

Message 6 of 8
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

Thank god! I used to try it at McDs and 7-11 but it would only work 50% of the time. I got tired of looking stupid 50% of the time. If you can't do something right, don't do it at all!

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 7 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@SuperKirby wrote:

that's good news, right? Contactless is pretty fraudulent-prone. I feel unsafe carrying my Chase Freedom around without a RFID blocker.

Not really. Although contactless on plastic can be dangerous without RFID blocker, contactless on smartphone (Google Wallet and ISIS) are a different story. Smartphone only turns on RFID after you entered the app and typed in the PIN. Plus they emits one-time use signal.

RFID fraud is really overreacted in general population. In order for RFID fraud to occur, the thief had to be standing right next to you, getting very close to touching your clothes. Their range is incredibly short.

I use it all the time at my local Jamba Juice, avoids the need of handing my CC to cashier.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.