cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase gives some credit card holders a surprise gift: debt forgiveness

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: 'Flabbergasted': Chase Bank forgives all credit card debt for Canadian customers

Yup, they just wanted to get out of Canada as fast as they could.

Message 11 of 17
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: 'Flabbergasted': Chase Bank forgives all credit card debt for Canadian customers

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Won’t cost them anyways. They’ll find a way to write it off.

Message 12 of 17
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Meanwhile some poor person here applies for two Chase cards and poof they go 

Message 13 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@blindambition wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Won’t cost them anyways. They’ll find a way to write it off.

Yup, all it is is money created out of thin air not backed by anything so its just a debit to the other side and said destruction of paper created money.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase gives some credit card holders a surprise gift: debt forgiveness

I had the Amazon card. By Canadian standards it was pretty good. No fee, 2% at Amazon, 1% elsewhere and they almost unheard of no foreign exchange fee. Canadian cards from Amex, Capital One and TD all charge 2.5%, despite the many no-fx fee cards they offer in the US.

I was sad to lose it, but replaced it with the Rogers World Elite Mastercard, also no fee, but 1.75% cash back on everything (usable at Costco in Canada) and 4% cashback on foreign purchases, to cover the 2.5% and still give cashback. It was originally no-FX and 1.75% worldwide, but they discovered most Canadians weren't aware they were being charged the fee.

It also comes, as many no fee Canadian cards do, with emergency medical insurance for up to two weeks when travelling out of your province or outside the country.

Anyway, no present for me from Chase. I paid my bill. I'd hate to think what my credit score would look like if I hadn't. I sure wouldn't be sitting here with a US Fico over 700 - it's my Canadian credit that gave me the head start of Amex Gold and two revolvers with 19K SL between them.

Message 15 of 17
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyway, no present for me from Chase. I paid my bill.

Out of curiousity, what was your CL?

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarR wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyway, no present for me from Chase. I paid my bill.

Out of curiousity, what was your CL?

I had 7,000 on the Amazon and I think 8 or 8500 on the Marriott. I only got the Marriott because I didn't get instant acceptance on the Amazon. Since it carried an annual fee I cancelled it before the year was up and never used it. The Amazon was more useful to me for the minimal use it got - international and Amazon only. 

I still get an email every month telling me my Chase Marriott statement it ready. No website left at the link, haven't been able to log in since I cancelled the card, but every month I have an email that won't die. The account was closed, nothing owing on it, in 2015.

Untitled 4.jpg

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.