Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi "True Name" Feature

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Citi "True Name" Feature

"We're incredibly proud to launch the True Name feature, through our relationship with Mastercard, because we strongly believe that our customers should have the opportunity to be called by the name that represents who they really are," Carla Hassan, CMO at Citi, said in the press release.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/select/citi-mastercard-launch-true-name-for-lgbtq-community/

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Citi "True Name" Feature

That's a great new feature to have easily available.   Many other lenders have quietly allowed preferred names to be used on physical cards.  I've known of a few people with stage names of varied renown who have had cards printed with their "professionally known as" name rather than their legal name. 

Message 2 of 16
iced
Valued Contributor

I imagine there won't be much give for those who go use names like Nick Papagiorgio or McLovin.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or what about Maverick, Betalgeuse, James T. Kirk etc. lol

While a nice feature, what about everyone else? Don't we all "want the opportunity to be called by the name that represents who we really are, or who we think we are" ?  After all our parents named us and there have been times when I felt I'd have prefferred a different name. However, that requires a legal name change. 

Message 4 of 16
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

I believe BMO Harris had launched this feature previously, although they are not Citi-size. It’s nice that Mastercard is expanding it and I hope people can understand the importance of having your actual name on things before having documents changed.
Message 5 of 16
fatcomic
Regular Contributor

This is great news for Batman 

Message 6 of 16
sxa001
Valued Contributor

At the end of the day, this is a great feature.  If someone uses it to use some funny name, oh well.  If this allows someone to live their true life and not face a situation where someone refuses to take their card because the name on the card doesn't match the gender of the person using the card, then it will have served it's purpose. 

Message 7 of 16
SanDiegoCredit
New Contributor

This is indeed a wonderful decision. 

Credit Age:

Gardening.
Message 8 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Or what about Maverick, Betalgeuse, James T. Kirk etc. lol

While a nice feature, what about everyone else? Don't we all "want the opportunity to be called by the name that represents who we really are, or who we think we are" ?  After all our parents named us and there have been times when I felt I'd have prefferred a different name. However, that requires a legal name change. 

This is not about you. It's simple as that. This isn't your story, it's not life you're living, and certainly something that doesn't require special approval from you or me for that matter. 

Save "what about me" for situations that are applicable to you. This is about a lot more than just a name on a card. 

With that said, everyone please thread carefully. Gender discussions per se are not allowed by MyFico terms of service. 

Message 9 of 16
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

"We're incredibly proud to launch the True Name feature, through our relationship with Mastercard, because we strongly believe that our customers should have the opportunity to be called by the name that represents who they really are," Carla Hassan, CMO at Citi, said in the press release.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/select/citi-mastercard-launch-true-name-for-lgbtq-community/

Stupid feature. Change your legal name if you want your wished name on a credit card. 

Companies need to stick to what they're supposed to do (Mod cut-not here please)

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.