Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class Action suit against Experian

tag
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

Class Action suit against Experian

There is a class action suit against Experian and their product CreditcheckTotal. The basis of the claim is that they make it difficult for you to cancel the product after the trial.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/849814-experian-class-action-lawsuit-sa...
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

Re: Class Action suit against Experian

I'm sure I'll get a letter stating i'm in the class-action.

Experian does indeed make it difficult to extricate yourself from the agreement. Amazing that these sort of shenanigans would even be considered in this day and age.

Message 2 of 14
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@RicHowe wrote:

I'm sure I'll get a letter stating i'm in the class-action.

Experian does indeed make it difficult to extricate yourself from the agreement. Amazing that these sort of shenanigans would even be considered in this day and age.

These sort of shenanigans are typical of shady, fly by night businesses, but are stupid and cheapen the image of one of the 3 primary CRAs. The amount of revenue they get from consumers monitoring their own credit has to be a tiny fraction of their total revenue, the vast majority of their revenue comes from creditors pulling credit reports when a consumer applies for credit. No smart business want to leave potential revenue on the table, but a respectable business doesn't scam their own customers.

And come on, $360 per year just to monitor your own information, and make it complete pain in the rear to cancel the service??? I did CCT once, and after 45 minutes on hold to cancel decided to never ever do business with them again.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Been able to sign up for the $1 trial and cancel multiple times with it being pretty easy.

If Im on hold for longer than 10 minutes I email and include the date/time of email sent(even though they can already see it) and then call back and hit random numbers on my phone key pad to at elast get me through to a rep during business hours.

Never had to spend a long time trying to cancel.  Just cancelled my membership last week, after business hours I emailed using the method mentioned above and got an email back 4 days later stating my membership was cancelled and I would be getting a refund back of the $29.95 charged.

......really not that hard or she is just retarded.  There is also the backdoor number but she probably didnt even think to google search further

Message 4 of 14
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

@notoriouswithag

You have been one of the lucky ones to actually be able to cancel within a reasonable amount of time. If you scroll the boards there are many others who have had challenges cancelling the membership, myself included. In my opinion, it’s a valid suit. Companies make it easy to take your money but when you are done it’s a hassle to get them to stop.

On another note, using offensive words to get your point across is not a good look. As a new contributor I would suggest that you read the User Guidelines so you are more familiar with what is appropriate and what is not. 

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

First off, I want to thank everyone here for providing me with so much information these last three months and I finally got up the nerve to join today so I could comment on this post.

I am not sure if this class action lawsuit has anything to do with my recent experience or if the online cancel option has always been on the CCT website.

I signed up for the $1 trial last week, dreading the cancel call I’d be facing before my trial was up, but then a couple days ago while I was checking out the my account section on their CCT site it had the option for me to click here to cancel online. It supposedly went through, since my bill date would be today and I have yet to see any pending $29.95 charges on my account and when I logged in today to double check it popped up telling me I was eligible for another 7 day $1 trial. I attatched a couple screenshots, hopefully it will display. I guess I don’t have image privileges yet. Here’s a link.

screenshot

Message 6 of 14
arkane
Established Contributor

That's crazy, I've never seen that link before!

As far as this suit goes, it's not without merits, but given my own experience of having signed up and successfully cancelled at least 5 times, I have to say she's either really unlucky or doing something wrong. Yes the quoted wait times can be atrocious, so you HUCA later. I've found that if I call just a few minutes before closing time, there's usually no wait and I get connected instantly. And as a general observation, they're the least busy at night, and ironically completely swamped during regular work hours -- you'd think it'd be the opposite but no.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

An update from my post last night. I tried to login this morning and it said invalid login credentials so that link to cancel seems legit.   

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know CCT is recommended often on these forums but IMO it is not worth the hassle.  My experience has been extremely long wait times.  When there is a thread dedicated to "how to cancel CCT faster" or whatever the title is, it is sad.  This lawsuit certainly has merits and I'm thrilled.  I won't recommend or do business with this shady service ever again, even if they cleaned up their act and made it so you can permanently cancel your service by clicking a link.   

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are probably a dozen threads on this forum from the last year illustrating multiple ways to cancel a CCT trial without having to wait excessive times. There are 4 different numbers (at least) that can be used, email, certain prompts to follow for phone calls to get a live body on right away, etc. Those that complain about cancelling simply aren't following the known work-arounds to simple cancellations.

I feel I'm probably one of the most qualified to speak about this, as I'm likely somewhere around 50 dollar trials in at this point, so say 50 cancellations.

And, honestly, for what you get for $1 even if someone HAD to wait 2 hours to cancel (they don't) IMO the service would still be far worth it, as you get more with that single dollar than you would with a full $30 a month membership.

Just my opinion.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.