Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class Action suit against Experian

tag
arkane
Established Contributor

Re: Class Action suit against Experian

@Anonymous wrote:
There are probably a dozen threads on this forum from the last year illustrating multiple ways to cancel a CCT trial without having to wait excessive times. There are 4 different numbers (at least) that can be used, email, certain prompts to follow for phone calls to get a live body on right away, etc. Those that complain about cancelling simply aren't following the known work-arounds to simple cancellations.

I feel I'm probably one of the most qualified to speak about this, as I'm likely somewhere around 50 dollar trials in at this point, so say 50 cancellations.

And, honestly, for what you get for $1 even if someone HAD to wait 2 hours to cancel (they don't) IMO the service would still be far worth it, as you get more with that single dollar than you would with a full $30 a month membership.

Just my opinion.

My brutally honest opinion is you can't have your cake and eat it too. Look if you're getting a deal that seems just a bit too good to be true, then there's definitely a catch somewhere, and you need to do your due diligence to figure out what said catch is and if it's worth it.

My first time cancelling CCT I was on hold for 45 minutes. Infuriating? Absolutely. But it also made me scour the internet for tricks and workarounds. I'm happy to say each of the other 4 cancellations after that, I was on hold for no longer than 5 minutes, and the most recent one I got through instantly.

ETA: If you truly don't want to waste a single precious minute, I suggest you load up on some prepaid gift cards that have been spent down to $1. Use these $1 GCs to pay for the trial, and when the subscription charge gets declined, you'll automatically get cancelled.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly right above.

A CCT $1 trial is better than a full monthly membership.  Two CCT $1 trials completely smokes a "real" $30/mo membership. 

That being said, what is it "worth" someone to save $28-$29?  This answer would vary by person, no doubt, but I don't see many scenarios where a little wait time on hold would be worse than paying $28-$29 more.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@arkane wrote:
when the subscription charge gets declined, you'll automatically get cancelled.

I disagree with this.  I have tried the $1 gift card stuff.  While the charges may have been declined, unless you are physically able to talk to someone or have found another way such as sending emails, they are running a tab if you haven't cancelled.  Not sure if they could turn you into collections or not.  The lawsuit is valid.  The regulars here may have found a faster way to cancel but that is a small fraction of the credit world that do not want to jump through any extra hoops.  Many people thrive on and appreciate simplicity.  I found it not so simple to cancel.  I'm obviously not the only one.  YMMV.  

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@arkane wrote:
when the subscription charge gets declined, you'll automatically get cancelled.

I disagree with this.  I have tried the $1 gift card stuff.  While the charges may have been declined, unless you are physically able to talk to someone or have found another way such as sending emails, they are running a tab if you haven't cancelled.  Not sure if they could turn you into collections or not.  The lawsuit is valid.  The regulars here may have found a faster way to cancel but that is a small fraction of the credit world that do not want to jump through any extra hoops.  Many people thrive on and appreciate simplicity.  I found it not so simple to cancel.  I'm obviously not the only one.  YMMV.  

@Anonymous has reported (elsewhere on this forum) that Credit Check Total customer reps, at least the one they talked to today for a login problem, are saying that CCT is going to be shut down outright in the not-too-distant future. I haven't heard anything about that myself.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-Check-Total-is-Going-Away/m-p/5289045#U5289045

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.