Did you mean: 

Comenity Bank to become new NFL fan centric credit card issuer

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Comenity Bank to become new NFL fan centric credit card issuer

@Goos wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While I don't know if this is a good move or not, no expericne with Comenity, I do find it odd that the NFL used Barclays as their Bank of choice with so many U.S. based FI's that existed. 

I believe it was originally from juniper . Could be wrong but I believe that's who started the NFL card.  If cardless had picked this up it would have been huge for them and first electronic bank . 

As far as good or not , it should be better for the NFL as there should be an uptick in approvals for the card as Barclays is so weird sometimes . But people who worry about status symbols maybe turned off as people tend to think what bank their card is issued by defines them as a person.  But I believe the product will become more adopted with comenity rewards could be good or bad but probably NFL centric as opposed to cash back.  It's a wait and see but for the NFL I think it's a great move.  

Just some clarification on the bolded piece @Goos.

Juniper Financial was purchased by Barclays circa ~2004. That acquisition pretty much is what started it all for Barclays to expand here in the US. And, despite having discontinued older legacy products, the Juniper legacy card is still in circulation. The NFL card program was launched in cooperation with the NFL and Barclays in 2010.

Message 11 of 19
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

It's been so long since I've heard of the NFL CC that I forgot who the previous lender was.

I'll stayed tuned to see what Comenity has in store with this when it comes out.

Thanks OP!

Used to be issued by Barclays.

I had to laugh when I came across this thread as on Wednesday morning I got an emailed ITA from "NFL on Behalf of Barclays" for the card with the header "Spread Holiday Joy with the NFL Extra Points Credit Card"

Clicking through the provided link redirects to a page on nflextrapoints.com and in the fine print at the bottom it states:

"The NFL Extra Points Credit Card is issued by Barclays Bank Delaware (Barclays) pursuant to a license by Visa U.S.A. Inc. Visa and Visa Signature are registered trademarks and used under license from Visa U.S.A. Inc."

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 12 of 19
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

NFL Extra Points Credit Card moving to Comenity!

Received a letter in the mail about NFL Extra Points Credit Card moving to Comenity Capital Bank!

After having this card through Barclays for past few years and being very uneventful card and not growing despite usage, I take the upgrade to Comenity!

Still the reward is not that great but much better then Comenity.

https://d.comenity.net/nflvisa/common/welcome/ComingSoon.xhtml

Message 13 of 19
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Goos wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While I don't know if this is a good move or not, no expericne with Comenity, I do find it odd that the NFL used Barclays as their Bank of choice with so many U.S. based FI's that existed. 

I believe it was originally from juniper . Could be wrong but I believe that's who started the NFL card.  If cardless had picked this up it would have been huge for them and first electronic bank . 

As far as good or not , it should be better for the NFL as there should be an uptick in approvals for the card as Barclays is so weird sometimes . But people who worry about status symbols maybe turned off as people tend to think what bank their card is issued by defines them as a person.  But I believe the product will become more adopted with comenity rewards could be good or bad but probably NFL centric as opposed to cash back.  It's a wait and see but for the NFL I think it's a great move.  

I don't think that's nearly as big an issue as you may think, lol. Maybe around here on MF, but in the "real world," I think people couldn't care less who issues their card (heck, often times they probably don't even know).

Anyway, I never had/cares for this card, so meh.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 14 of 19
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Received the new NFL card from Comenity, it'll be active on the 24th. So all good there!

Message 15 of 19
razzy116
Established Contributor

Can you pick which team you want Comenity takes over the card?

Starting Score: 663
Current Score: c669
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 19
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@razzy116 wrote:

Yes. They already sent it with old team logo. Looks decent with the new design. Also you can change team if you like.

Message 17 of 19
razzy116
Established Contributor

@CYBERSAM wrote:

@razzy116 wrote:

Yes. They already sent it with old team logo. Looks decent with the new design. Also you can change team if you like.

That"s on April 24, 2022 ? Thank you CYBERSAM

Starting Score: 663
Current Score: c669
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 19
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@razzy116 wrote:

@CYBERSAM wrote:

@razzy116 wrote:

That"s on April 24, 2022 ? Thank you CYBERSAM

NFL card is active now. Seems like they transferred everything over! Including old transactions and reward points!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.