Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Bureaus to Stop Reporting Tax Liens in April 2018

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Bureaus to Stop Reporting Tax Liens in April 2018

Glad I could help. Thanks for adding the datapoint on Equifax; my lien never reported there so I didn't have reason to contact them.

Given the number of people affected by this issue, I would think it would be bigger news but except for one article in the WSJ I haven't seen it reported anywhere else.  I guess there will be more media reporting on it after April 16.  

Message 21 of 89
ToughFistFight
Frequent Contributor

Im sure there will be.  Good to get in early.  I have told a couple people I know who have tax liens.  Ya know, these are people who have successfully ran their businesses after the crash.  We all got up, brushed ourselves off after that beating, reinvented ourselves and our businesses and kept chugging along.  Im glad we can all get on with our lives and have this crazy part behind us.  

Chase Business Ink 20k PenFed Plat Rewards VS 25k NFCU Go Rewards 20k BECU 30k Chase FU 6k GM Biz 21k NFCU Flag 21k Amex BCP 26k Disco IT 18k FNBO Biz 11k Costco Citi Biz 8.1k Amex EDP 2k Gold Delta Skymiles Biz 5k Amazon Prime 10k USBank Cash 12k Amex Biz Plat Rewards NPSL Amex BCB NPSL
Message 22 of 89
FirstAscent
Regular Contributor

I wasn't aware of this until just now. I currently have an existing dispute open through CFPB for my one paid state tax lien. So far Experian has responded and removed it, Equifax so far only responded with they need more time, no response yet from TU. I opened the dispute on 3/21 so hopefully with this news they will simply get removed early.

Now I feel better about this though =) Good to see some of you have already had good luck with this. I disputed through the individual credit bureaus about a month ago with no luck.

Current Score: EQ 708 | TU ??? | EX 714
Score highs: EQ 715 | TU 704 | EX 718 (02/2020)
Starting Score: EQ 616 | TU 614 | EX 585 (02/18/2018)
Goal Score: 740
Message 23 of 89
FirstAscent
Regular Contributor

what the heck, not having good luck with TU. just got a notice they responded to my CFPB dispute, surprised they aren't deleting it.

This is what they said: 

"We have reviewed your complaint along with the information you provided regarding this issue. We store information in our records as it is supplied to us by creditors. When information is disputed, we are required to investigate and record the current status of the information. We do not provide dispute verification responses received from creditors. If you need to obtain documentation or written verification concerning your accounts, then please contact your creditors directly. Per Transunion policy we were unable to update the tax lien with the documentation you provided. In order to preserve your rights under the FCRA, we have opened investigations into the disputed items and contacted the source(s) to advise them of your dispute. They will verify the accuracy of the item(s) and inform TransUnion of their results. When the investigation is complete, we will mail the results of the investigation to the current mailing address we have on file for you."

Message 24 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

Open an investigation/dispute directly with TransUnion.  That's what I did and they removed my lien within 3 hours.

@FirstAscentwrote:

what the heck, not having good luck with TU. just got a notice they responded to my CFPB dispute, surprised they aren't deleting it.

This is what they said: 

"We have reviewed your complaint along with the information you provided regarding this issue. We store information in our records as it is supplied to us by creditors. When information is disputed, we are required to investigate and record the current status of the information. We do not provide dispute verification responses received from creditors. If you need to obtain documentation or written verification concerning your accounts, then please contact your creditors directly. Per Transunion policy we were unable to update the tax lien with the documentation you provided. In order to preserve your rights under the FCRA, we have opened investigations into the disputed items and contacted the source(s) to advise them of your dispute. They will verify the accuracy of the item(s) and inform TransUnion of their results. When the investigation is complete, we will mail the results of the investigation to the current mailing address we have on file for you."

Message 25 of 89
FirstAscent
Regular Contributor

Thanks, I'll try that. Which option did you choose for your reasoning?

@Anonymouswrote:

Open an investigation/dispute directly with TransUnion.  That's what I did and they removed my lien within 3 hours.

Message 26 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for posting this.  My EX and EQ have no lien but my TU does.  I just did a new dispute right now.

My FICO estimator tool shows EX and EQ will be 790-799 by December this year (I believe this to be true) but my TU would likely be in the 800s if it wasn't for that lien.  So maybe it'll disappear and I can finally call my rebuild done and over with.

Good luck to everyone!

Message 27 of 89
ToughFistFight
Frequent Contributor

Mine was a federal lien. Did you mention yours was a state lien? I'm not sure if this applies to state liens. Ya might want to double check that. Sorry.

Chase Business Ink 20k PenFed Plat Rewards VS 25k NFCU Go Rewards 20k BECU 30k Chase FU 6k GM Biz 21k NFCU Flag 21k Amex BCP 26k Disco IT 18k FNBO Biz 11k Costco Citi Biz 8.1k Amex EDP 2k Gold Delta Skymiles Biz 5k Amazon Prime 10k USBank Cash 12k Amex Biz Plat Rewards NPSL Amex BCB NPSL
Message 28 of 89
FirstAscent
Regular Contributor

Ah darn, I hope it’s state tax liens too! According to that article it just says “tax lien”. I guess I’ll find out more as we get closer to the date.

Message 29 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

If i'm remembering correctly there's an reason code that said "Withdrawn" or "Settled" or something to that effect.  I selected that, then for further explanation I added "Lien settled through agreement with IRS."  Since yours is a paid state lien I would mention that fact in your explanation.

@FirstAscentwrote:

Thanks, I'll try that. Which option did you choose for your reasoning?

@Anonymouswrote:

Message 30 of 89
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.