Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Bureaus to Stop Reporting Tax Liens in April 2018

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Bureaus to Stop Reporting Tax Liens in April 2018

Bogus if it is only IRS liens.  None of the news articles I've read specify what types of tax liens they will delete and if any particular ones will continue to report.

According to some articles regarding lawsuits against TransUnion, "TransUnion denied the allegations but said it would cease reporting tax lien and civil judgment public records for three years, while compensating any customers who were negatively impacted by inaccurate liens and judgments on their credit reports."

So they will cease reporting for 3 years it seems.  My TU tax lien stops reporting in December 2019 so if it does fall off soon, it shouldn't get re-reported.  Hopefully.

Message 31 of 89
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

Bogus if it is only IRS liens.  None of the news articles I've read specify what types of tax liens they will delete and if any particular ones will continue to report.

According to some articles regarding lawsuits against TransUnion, "TransUnion denied the allegations but said it would cease reporting tax lien and civil judgment public records for three years, while compensating any customers who were negatively impacted by inaccurate liens and judgments on their credit reports."

So they will cease reporting for 3 years it seems.  My TU tax lien stops reporting in December 2019 so if it does fall off soon, it shouldn't get re-reported.  Hopefully.

@Anonymouswrote:

That is such bs. 3yrs? thats it? Should be forever!!  I really hope my state tax lien comes off in April. I disputed 2 days ago, and today it came back "verified". Whatever. Mine is set to fall off 09/2020, so Id still fall into their stupid "3 yr" thing anyways.  EXP deleted it without question 4 yrs ago,  but EQ and TU nope. Smiley Sad

Message 32 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

I disputed the (1) paid/released federal tax lien I had showing on my Experian report.

I filed the dispute this morning, Easter Sunday at 10:30 a.m. eastern time. By 1:30 p.m. eastern time, the dispute was settled and the lien was removed from my report.

Very happy.

I still have several baddies to clean up.....but making progress everyday towards a more mature and healthy financial life.
Message 33 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am going to be chafing for the next two weeks, waiting for my liens to disappear. Meanwhile, googling for further news updates, I found these public record announcements from TransUnion (no date) and Experian (March 19):

https://portal.mycertiphi.com/documents/Public%20Records_TransUnion%20Customer%20Announcement_3%2019...

https://portal.mycertiphi.com/documents/Public%20Record%20Standards%20%20Client%20Communication_Fina...

Message 34 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 4 tax liens (All paid and released) still showing on Trans Union.  I disputed them, but Trans Union reaffrimed that they must stay on the report for up to (2) more years for all 4 of them. They have been removed from Experian and Equifax already so, looking forward to see if they actually do disappear from Trans Union in a couple of weeks.

Here is to crossing our fingers and hoping for this bad time in our lives disappear for good! 

Message 35 of 89
FirstAscent
Regular Contributor

Omg I’m going crazy, is it the week of April 16th yet!? Haha
Current Score: EQ 708 | TU ??? | EX 714
Score highs: EQ 715 | TU 704 | EX 718 (02/2020)
Starting Score: EQ 616 | TU 614 | EX 585 (02/18/2018)
Goal Score: 740
Message 36 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was impatient so I went ahead and disputed my husband's 6 year old (released) State Tax lien.  It was only reporting on TU and Experian.  TU validated the info, Experian said I couldn't dispute without new documentation because I had disputed it in the past.  I uploaded a screen shot of the Wall Street Journal article as my new documentation, and they removed the lien! I guess I'll just have to wait a few weeks on TransUnion. 

Message 37 of 89
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

I was impatient so I went ahead and disputed my husband's 6 year old (released) State Tax lien.  It was only reporting on TU and Experian.  TU validated the info, Experian said I couldn't dispute without new documentation because I had disputed it in the past.  I uploaded a screen shot of the Wall Street Journal article as my new documentation, and they removed the lien! I guess I'll just have to wait a few weeks on TransUnion. 

This just might be the best example of providing new information for a dispute I've ever seen.  Well Done & Congrats!

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 38 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a few more days and we will all either jump for joy or wonder what the report was about and why the removal did not apply to us!!

Come on Tax Lien Removal Day!  Make them disappear.

lol

Message 39 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know it's gotta be a kick in the gut, tmr!

But, at least it's off.

Congrats on your success!!

Message 40 of 89
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.