Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Lender Satisfaction

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Credit Card Lender Satisfaction

I looked this information up for another thread and decided to post the historical J.D. Power Credit Card Satisfaction Rankings (2013 - 2021.)   My other thread was on Discover and how they've been neck-and-neck with American Express for the past ten years. (Discover claimed the #1 spot in 2019, 2018, 2016, 2015; tied with AMEX in 2014; and only lag AMEX by 1 point in 2020-2021.)  

It's also interesting that the often-maligned Capital One bank is ranked #3 on the 2021 rankings.   So maybe it's time to ask, "What's in your wallet?"  Lol Smiley LOL

It would be interesting to hear commentary from the community that either reinforces or contradicts these ratings.  

With which lenders are you most happy?

JD_Power_Card_Survey_2013.jpgJD_Power_Card_Survey_2014.jpgJD_Power_Card_Survey_2015.jpgJD_Power_Card_Survey_2016.jpgJD_Power_Card_Survey_2017.jpgJD_Power_Card_Survey_2018.jpgJD_Power_Card_Survey_2019.jpgJD_Power_Card_Survey_2020.jpgJD_Power_Card_Survey_2021.jpg

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
18 REPLIES 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Card Customer Service Satisfaction

@Aim_High wrote:

I looked this information up for another thread and decided to post the historical J.D. Power Credit Card Satisfaction Rankings (2013 - 2021.)   My other thread was on Discover and how they've been neck-and-neck with American Express for the past ten years. (Discover claimed the #1 spot in 2019, 2018, 2016, 2015; tied with AMEX in 2014; and only lag AMEX by 1 point in 2020-2021.)  

It's also interesting that the often-maligned Capital One bank is ranked #3 on the 2021 rankings.   So maybe it's time to ask, "What's in your wallet?"  Lol Smiley LOL

It would be interesting to hear commentary from the community that either reinforces or contradicts these ratings.   Which card lenders are you most happy with in terms of Customer Service?

Unfortunately, the plethora of images you displayed do not provide an equitable look for CUs or other regional/midsized institutions (if we are discussing customer experiences overall for all lenders). Unless your intent or approach was simply to discuss the ones listed as the top 10 largest banks.

ETA - the title is also a bit misleading since none of the charts specifically state "Credit Card Customer Service Satisfaction", but rather being a Credit Card Satisfaction study based on a Customer Satisfaction Index Ranking.  So, to me it goes beyond just "customer service". While the indices are not specific in the charts displayed, I would think this would also mean, overall card benefits, website/application experience, issue/resolution responsiveness, handling of fraud instances, accessibility, worldwide acceptance, etc.

Message 2 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I would highly object to the high level of satisfaction with Chase..... how else to explain 5/24  amongst myFicoers 😁

Message 3 of 19
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

I would highly object to the high level of satisfaction with Chase..... how else to explain 5/24  amongst myFicoers 😁

A single score can tend to be misleading. I feel there are at least four things to consider:

1. Do some account types or customers get a different pool of CSRs?

2. How complicated is the problem to be solved?

3. Is the CSR competent to solve the problem?

4. Is the result one that the customer likes?

Discover CSRs are absolutely polite and efficient, but I also expect their average call is pretty simple. A lost card, a request for a lower APR, etc.

Amex Centurion and Platinum CSRs probably see more complicated problems.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 19
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Amex customer service is glorious. I don't even have to look to know. They're probably the best customer service of most any product I use. That said so is Disco. As a matter of fact the only complaint I have is the low credit limit. (Yeah i know, first world problems) their website and app are the best also tbh. 

Message 5 of 19
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

It would be interesting to hear commentary from the community that either reinforces or contradicts these ratings.   Which card lenders are you most happy with in terms of Customer Service?

Unfortunately, the plethora of images you displayed do not provide an equitable look for CUs or other regional/midsized institutions (if we are discussing customer experiences overall for all lenders). Unless your intent or approach was simply to discuss the ones listed as the top 10 largest banks.

ETA - the title is also a bit misleading since none of the charts specifically state "Credit Card Customer Service Satisfaction", but rather being a Credit Card Satisfaction study based on a Customer Satisfaction Index Ranking.  So, to me it goes beyond just "customer service". While the indices are not specific in the charts displayed, I would think this would also mean, overall card benefits, website/application experience, issue/resolution responsiveness, handling of fraud instances, accessibility, worldwide acceptance, etc.

Those are great points and fair criticisms, @FinStar.   I think I saw the survey and inaccurately assumed the focus was more on customer service satisfaction.  I've altered the subject line to delete the emphasis on "customer service" and instead focus on "lender satisfaction" since that seems more the intent of the survey.   I also deleted the specific reference to customer service in my original post.   Per J.D. Power, while customer service is one aspect of the study, it's only one of six elements.

" ... The U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study, now in its 15th year, measures customer satisfaction with credit card issuers by examining six factors (in alphabetical order): Benefits & Services; Communication; Credit Card Terms; Interaction; Key Moments; and Rewards ..." 

I found the historical data interesting as a student and hobbyist of credit.  So the reason for the abundance of images was to provide anyone else in the community quick access to that historical data instead of having to look it all up separately.  I thought others might find it helpful, especially for those considering overall satisfaction as an important component when considering a card or lender.

My intent was not to limit the discussion to these lenders but I thought it was a great starting point, especially in terms of either agreeing or disagreeing with their ratings.   These ten lenders control in excess of 82% of the card market (Nielsen data 2018) so while this rating does exclude many other significant lenders, it covers the great majority of the market and most of our members have cards with at least one if not several of these lenders.   However, of note, the press release alludes to separate ratings for mid-size issuers (and I would imagine there was a study on smaller ones also), but I was unable to find those surveys.  (I imagine J.D. Power charges for the entire reports and data.)   However, they did state that Goldman Sachs / Apple card had a score of 864 which would have bested any of the scores in the top-ten largest lenders by a wide margin.  They also mentioned BB&T, Huntington, and PNC with scores of 817, which would have placed them around third place in a blended polling.  Combined, I imagine these lenders cover at least 85% of the market. 

Comments about satisfaction with any credit card lender are welcome.  Smiley Happy

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 6 of 19
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

This press release has the mid-size rankings:

https://www.jdpower.com/sites/default/files/file/2021-08/2021095%20U.S.%20Credit%20Card_2.pdf

One interesting footnote is Navy Federal CU -- for technical reasons, they don't qualify for a ranking, but their score of 866 is higher than any other financial institution.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

Here's the full 2021 list, large and mid sized, ranked and unranked, converted to percentages (using the cumulative distribution function, i.e. grading on a curve). I also broke up the list by natural breakpoints (standard deviations). Credit One is about as bad as Navy Fed is good, which means Premier Bankcard is really terrible.

97% Navy Federal CU
97% Goldman Sachs
96% USAA

87% American Express
86% Discover

68% BB&T (now part of Truist)
68% Huntington
68% PNC
66% Capital One
62% Regions Bank
56% Chase
54% Bank of America
54% Citi

52% Fifth Third

Average

44% SunTrust (median, now part of Truist)
41% BMO Harris
39% Barclays
39% TD Bank
37% Wells Fargo
37% FNBO
34% Synchrony Bank
33% Citizens Bank
32% Merrick Bank

28% US Bank
25% BBVA
25% Key Bank
23% HSBC

2% Credit One Bank

0.4% Premier Bankcard

Message 8 of 19
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

@Anonymalous wrote:

This press release has the mid-size rankings:

https://www.jdpower.com/sites/default/files/file/2021-08/2021095%20U.S.%20Credit%20Card_2.pdf

One interesting footnote is Navy Federal CU -- for technical reasons, they don't qualify for a ranking, but their score of 866 is higher than any other financial institution.

And a credit union outperforms them all in each ranking. I rest my case :-)

Message 9 of 19
sxa001
Valued Contributor

I don't have a complicated credit card life, so pretty rare to have to be on the phone with any of my lenders, but I will concur that Disco and AMEX have been easy to work with when I have called.  

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.