Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card checkout fees on the horizon

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card checkout fees on the horizon

So it begins. Mark your calender on this coming Janurary 27 be on the lookout for signs at stores you shop at. This actually doesn't concern me too much as a credit card reward junkie because I have a gut feeling that the free market will make a lot of merchants not want to charge extra. The only place where I would be hurt is if my landlord did this. They only accept payment of rent in person in the office by either credit or debit card. I paid my rent last week and didn't see any signs or announcements that they will be charging so I hope I am in the clear there. If not I would have to get a debit card which I do not want to do, but I would use it to pay rent only.

All my other business in grocery stores, restaurants, department stores, etc if one does impose this surcharge which thankfully they are legally required to post a notice on the store entrance, I can just not even enter and go somewhere else since competition in those areas are heavy enough there is bound to be at least one who won't charge the extra credit card fee.

If it comes down to it where most places do start surcharging I will be paying in cash. I refuse to use a debit card because I don't want a number linking directly to my checking account to be used everywhere where it can be skimmed, only at the landlord and that would be because I would have no choice because they don't take cash. Elsewhere if I hold up the checkout line counting my bills and coins well too bad.

LOL a funny thought what if the merchants by and large really start to like checkout fees, they claim to only want credit card surcharges to recoup processing fee costs but what is to stop them from finding new revenue sources after a while? Will we start having to pay for parking in the close spots at the store? Will we have to pay a shopping cart fee if we need a shopping cart? Remember the airlines claimed they had to implement bag fees because of the rising cost of fuel to recoup costs, then suddenly we find ourselves having to pay a fee to pick a seat now. Banks and airlines, then cell phone companies have been part of the a la carte pricing for a while now, with this checkout fee we could find a la carte pricing in our everyday lives.

http://www.ydr.com/business/ci_22301311/some-retailers-may-impose-fee-credit-card-transactions

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card checkout fees on the horizon

Ah yes, competition vs regulation. Why is it that people mind being regulated? It was just earlier today I read on obesity that "while most people support nutrition guidelines to help Americans make better choices along with the posting of calorie counts on restaurant menus, nearly six in ten of those surveyed opposed unhealthy food taxes and three-quarters of respondents were against government restrictions on what people can purchase."

Message 2 of 7
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry, Dadaluma83...you've exceeded the "360 posts within 18 months" myFico posting limit.

There is a $15.00 overpost fee.  We regret this is necessary due to bandwidth constraints.  Please see the cashier.

Thank you for your patronage!

Message 3 of 7
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

What are the ten states that ban the practice?  The article only mentions three of them (CA, NY, and FL).

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 4 of 7
awal
Regular Contributor

I think the 10 states are California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas.
Starting Scores: 
Current Scores:  
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am glad I live in California  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
Tristate
Contributor

So yea , it's officialy here :-( http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/27/pf/checkout-fee/

AMEX BCE 10K; BARCLAYS REWARDS 10K; CITI ANYWHERE 8K; DISCOVER 7,5K;CAP ONE VENTURE 9K;MERRICK BANK 2,3K; MACY'S 1,2K; WALMART-SYNCRONY 450$.
BK7 DISCHARGED IN 2011. FICO 8 NOW IN LOW 700S.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.