Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards Are Turning Vertical With Tap-to-Pay Taking Off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Cards Are Turning Vertical With Tap-to-Pay Taking Off

Banks and retailers have started turning away from horizontal designs and are opting to issue cards with a portrait orientation instead. Part of the thinking: Swiping a magnetic stripe horizontally is becoming a thing of the past as more consumers dip or tap their cards at checkout.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-11/credit-cards-are-turning-vertical-with-tap-to-pay...

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Cards Are Turning Vertical With Tap-to-Pay Taking Off

Yeah so I don't like the vertical designs.  They're funny looking and it's taking me too long to adapt to the visual change. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 15
blindambition
Senior Contributor

I completely hate this change!! Vertical cards and removal of raised numbers is a pain for blind consumers like myself. Raised numbers and front logos were a tactile marker to know top and bottom of card.

Unfortunately all stores aren't tap and go ready yet. It's no big deal when Contactless is available, or when I can use ApplePay.

Message 3 of 15
thornback
Senior Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

I completely hate this change!! Vertical cards and removal of raised numbers is a pain for blind consumers like myself. Raised numbers and front logos were a tactile marker to know top and bottom of card.

Unfortunately all stores aren't tap and go ready yet. It's no big deal when Contactless is available, or when I can use ApplePay.

This is an excellent point and why marketing teams need far more diversification. Ableism is a huge problem too few people acknowledge. 

Can you special request raised-digit cards, or is it not even an option these days?

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 15
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@thornback wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

This is an excellent point and why marketing teams need far more diversification. Ableism is a huge problem too few people acknowledge. 

Can you special request raised-digit cards, or is it not even an option these days?

Very few lenders offer another option. Cost saving measure I'm sure.

I often place a mini bump dot at bottom right of card. Allows me to know bottom of card, but when you're rushed, and not trying to back up the line, it's frustrating sometimes.

Bump dots are adhesive stickers with raised dots. Mostly used to identify buttons on microwaves, stoves, etc., but we find other useful applications.

Message 5 of 15
thornback
Senior Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

@thornback wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

Very few lenders offer another option. Cost saving measure I'm sure.

I often place a mini bump dot at bottom right of card. Allows me to know bottom of card, but when you're rushed, and not trying to back up the line, it's frustrating sometimes.

Bump dots are adhesive stickers with raised dots. Mostly used to identify buttons on microwaves, stoves, etc., but we find other useful applications.

Great work-around but it shouldn't be your problem to solve, imo. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't stand vertical card designs either. 

Message 7 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I may be the odd one here (but not alone I'm sure), I really like the vertical designs 👌.  Some of the flat (non embossed) designs have grown on me over time.

Message 8 of 15
calyx
Super Contributor

My most recent card is a vertical and it really looks nice.   I do prefer the horizontal designs, though.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 9 of 15
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Time for me to invent and patent a new vertical card wallet.    Heart Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.