Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dave Ramsey Ticks Me Off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dave Ramsey Ticks Me Off

I'll say it again: Clark Howard. He's the "Best Of DR - PLUS common sense credit strategies. DR sounds like my drunk uncle at Thanksgiving who's broke as **** and not a single credit card to his name while bragging about how smart he is.
Message 31 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'll say it again: Clark Howard. He's the "Best Of DR - PLUS common sense credit strategies. DR sounds like my drunk uncle at Thanksgiving who's broke as **** and not a single credit card to his name while bragging about how smart he is.

Now THAT was funny!

Message 32 of 42
TheVig
Regular Contributor

If one lacks self control with their monetary expenditures, then the DR plan might be for you.

I haven't paid a penny in credit card interest in years. I think those that do are salamanders. My past problems with credit cards were my own fault. I used to use the old tired a** excusses like job loss, car broke down...again, and other assorted life happens excuses.

Cash liquidity is where its at for me. The plastic is nothing more than a vehicle to get business done and earn rewards. PIF every month. There is real power in having a fully funded 12 month or more cash emergency fund to handle everything from the rent/mortgage, to life happens moments. Plus I have 401k etc.

The only fall out I have is dealing with friends and some family who have no concept of 1st grade level budgeting. The DW and I always get the evil eye when life happens to us and its not a meltdown crisis. 

We are not rich, but have disciplined ourselves to get where we are at.

It's kind a eff'n sexy to have $200k in available credit, and the discipline not get into trouble with it.

Message 33 of 42
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

@TheVig wrote:

If one lacks self control with their monetary expenditures, then the DR plan might be for you.

I haven't paid a penny in credit card interest in years. I think those that do are salamanders. My past problems with credit cards were my own fault. I used to use the old tired a** excusses like job loss, car broke down...again, and other assorted life happens excuses.

Cash liquidity is where its at for me. The plastic is nothing more than a vehicle to get business done and earn rewards. PIF every month. There is real power in having a fully funded 12 month or more cash emergency fund to handle everything from the rent/mortgage, to life happens moments. Plus I have 401k etc.

The only fall out I have is dealing with friends and some family who have no concept of 1st grade level budgeting. The DW and I always get the evil eye when life happens to us and its not a meltdown crisis. 

We are not rich, but have disciplined ourselves to get where we are at.

It's kind a eff'n sexy to have $200k in available credit, and the discipline not get into trouble with it.

My only disagreement is with "kind a". No, it's definitely, totally sexy! Finally maxxing out the retirement contributions - THAT feels good too Smiley Happy 

Message 34 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BurgeoningHope wrote:

maxxing out the retirement contributions - THAT feels good too Smiley Happy 

Sure does!  That was a commitment I'm really glad I finally made.

Message 35 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those extended warranties dealers try to be bad deals as they pressure you so much into buying one,  I have never bought and have never regretted.  If I buy on on my current car I will buy one right before manufacture warranty and contact a ton of dealers to see who gives me the best price. 

Message 36 of 42
trusty
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Those extended warranties dealers try to be bad deals as they pressure you so much into buying one,  I have never bought and have never regretted.  If I buy on on my current car I will buy one right before manufacture warranty and contact a ton of dealers to see who gives me the best price. 

Agreed. An extended warranty is never a good deal... because of the fine print. - The issue is that when you go to use your warranty, the warranty doesn't cover the most likely things that will go wrong.

Now, if there were an extended warranty that covered everything, including routine maintenence... it might be worth it.

Alas, Extended Warranties are nothing but pure profit, and not for the benefit of the consumer.

Consumers would do well to avoid the Finance Manager after purchasing a car. Learn how to say, "I'll pass on that."

If you cannot afford to provide regular maintenence and fixes for your own car, than the car is either too fancy, or too old... or you just cannot afford that car.

Message 37 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in a couple of FB groups for stay home dads and MOST commonly posted questions are about coupons, smart shopping & general budgeting/finance. EVERY SINGLE TIME I explain how I leverage credit+PIF to maximize cashback and rewards to get anywhere from 4 to upwards of 20% on practically every single purchase a family makes I get a flood of misinformed trolls. I'm wrong & stupid to borrow what I can't afford & that if I was smart and responsible with my money I would only pay in cash or debit and pay no interest.

I have no idea who this guy is but it's probably safe to assume he's to thank for at least part of these responses. I think the problem is one of not understanding the difference between money and wealth. These guys see having cash in hand & "not having to borrow" as the ultimate financial position, as opposed to say leveraging said money to not just avoid interest or "borrowing" but to also benefit financially from your ability to do so. I'm not saying my way is inherently or morally superior, cash & carry all you want, but anytime I ask the detractors how much of a rainy day fund they've got from their superior cash only system all I get is silence. Like others have said in this thread, people hear the "don't use credit" step & ignore the rest.
Message 38 of 42
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
...people hear the "don't use credit" step & ignore the rest.

I happily use my credit. What I won't do is let my credit use me. I think a lot of the Dave Ramsey crowd doesn't understand the difference, to their detriment.

Message 39 of 42
trusty
Frequent Contributor

Exactly.

Have to be able to understand why maintaining ones credit is important long term.

Have to be able to see the big picture, if you will.

Things like insurance and banking decisions are more than ever heavily biased by credit ratings now.

Knowing how to operate within these realities can be the difference of keeping thousands of dollars, and having the ability to come and go as we please.

If you decide to check out of the system... then you will be stuck when you realize that you need to be able to operate under the same.

These kinds of impractical views - that fail to see the forrest for the trees - just fail to pass a thorough analysis.

Does it make sense to be in debt, long term? Of course not. But, that's not the reason why savvy actors see the value in playing along.
Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.