Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Collectors Can Now DM You on Social Media

tag
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Debt Collectors Can Now DM You on Social Media

Say it ain't so. Debt collectors are now allowed to DM debtors on their social media accounts. 

EDIT:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/debt-collectors-are-allowed-to-dm-you-on-social-medi... 

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Debt Collector Can Now DM on Social Media

Provided link is not active @SOGGIE 

Message 2 of 11
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@NoMoreE46 Thanks for letting me know. I updated the link.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

At least a DM can be deleted without any contact, a phone call on the other hand not so much. So I'd rather be handled via DM than the phone.

Message 4 of 11
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

Re: Debt Collectors Can Now DM You on Social Media

@SOGGIE wrote:

Say it ain't so. Debt collectors are now allowed to DM debtors on their social media accounts. 

EDIT:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/debt-collectors-are-allowed-to-dm-you-on-social-medi... 

I think this is fair, actually. The message has to be private, so as not to violate confidentiality. The debt collector has to identify themselves immediately, and you can opt out of this. I am not on social media, but I can see how it might be preferable for someone who is to be contacted this way as opposed to phone calls. 

I have noticed in the past several years that the rules governing debt collection have changed.  Debt collectors are limited as to how often they can contact you, and in what they are allowed to say. They are not allowed to harrass you anymore, which in my opinion is the most positive change. 

Message 5 of 11
EasternTraveler

"not allowed to harass you anymore."

That is a joke right? That is all the scammers do, is harass people. I would hate to owe money to the scammers, I would have to disconnect my phone.

Message 6 of 11
805orbust
Valued Contributor

@shalimarcat Myfico isn't social media? 

Message 7 of 11
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

@shalimarcat Myfico isn't social media? 

Never said that.  Not sure the purpose of your comment. As for myfico, I consider it an educational forum. While it is a type of social media, it is not at all the same as Twitter, Instagram, and the like. 

Message 8 of 11
805orbust
Valued Contributor

@shalimarcat  You said in your comment that you're not on social media. That got me to thinking about how people define MyFico, including myself as I always thought of it as a form of social media.  However the subject matter, and anonymous nature of the interactions perhaps makes it something else.  My purpose, as always, is only to learn.

Message 9 of 11
RobynJ
Established Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

@shalimarcat  You said in your comment that you're not on social media. That got me to thinking about how people define MyFico, including myself as I always thought of it as a form of social media.  However the subject matter, and anonymous nature of the interactions perhaps makes it something else.  My purpose, as always, is only to learn.

I would think they would not be allowed to use MyFICO for the fact that our user names are anonymous thus not being able to allow them to verify if they are messaging the correct person. Plus with the way are accounts are set up, I don't believe they would even have a chance knowing if you are on this site or not. JMHO

> > > > > > > > >

Starting Score:

Current Score:
My highest 818

Goal Score:

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

/
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.