Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deferred Covid-19 Payments May Report as Late

tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Deferred Covid-19 Payments May Report as Late

Great article Brian_Earl_Spilner. Thanks for sharing. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 11 of 28
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Nomad3 wrote:

I thought they would tag it as "no data" for the deferment?

Who really knows how it will be reported? Having worked at chase auto, I know that deferment plans already existed, so they shouldn't have any issues. But, if a lender does not normally offer deferments, we don't know what will happen. Especially with something of this magnitude.

Message 12 of 28
tcbofade
Super Contributor

...and every lender may report differently.

I've got a local CU that will allow you to skip your December loan payment if you've made the previous eleven payments on time... it's wrapped around to the end of the loan, interest still applies, and they still report as paid that month.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 13 of 28
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

The article essentially shows that all the reporting burden is on any of the lenders that are offering deferred payments. If there are any lates reported, it's going to leave themselves red-faced once their names start coming out into the news and the general public, along with hoards of CRA disputes to deal with. I would assume these lenders are simply going to report an on time payment, or simply not report at all during the deferment period. While what we're experiencing is unprecedented, I would hope that their IT is at least competent enough to figure this out before causing damage to the credit profiles of otherwise good customers.  (Seeing some of their websites, I know... this may be a tall order, but let's hope!)

Message 14 of 28
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

...and every lender may report differently.

I've got a local CU that will allow you to skip your December loan payment if you've made the previous eleven payments on time... it's wrapped around to the end of the loan, interest still applies, and they still report as paid that month.

+1

My credit union does this every year, and sometimes during the year, if you've continued to make on time payments. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 15 of 28
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Gonna be lots of "I wouldn't have taken it if I knew this would happen" misery going around. 7 years is a long time to deal with the repercussions of taking assistance you don't need. 

Which leads to the question: why would anyone take assistance they don't need? People know deferrals and forebearances don't stop the interest, so it seems pointless to pay more for something if you don't need to.

Message 16 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Gonna be lots of "I wouldn't have taken it if I knew this would happen" misery going around. 7 years is a long time to deal with the repercussions of taking assistance you don't need. 

Which leads to the question: why would anyone take assistance they don't need? People know deferrals and forebearances don't stop the interest, so it seems pointless to pay more for something if you don't need to.

Adding to your comment is my distrust of financials. As has been reported in this and other threads where questions exist on what get's reported to the credit bureaus it may pay to be very careful! Smiley Mad

Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

People are freaking out and trying to hold on to all the cash that they can in case something happens that inhibits their ability to pay later. I get the freak out, my roommate just told me literally while I was typing this that she's probably going to get fired because of a mistake she made on paperwork while in a psych med transition last month, I just hope the people who are taking advantage of all the assistance are prepared for the potential consequences. 

Message 18 of 28
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

People are freaking out and trying to hold on to all the cash that they can in case something happens that inhibits their ability to pay later. I get the freak out, my roommate just told me literally while I was typing this that she's probably going to get fired because of a mistake she made on paperwork while in a psych med transition last month, I just hope the people who are taking advantage of all the assistance are prepared for the potential consequences. 

I can understand that some people are experiencing anxiety as a psychological response to events happening around them, but I guess I don't understand why some of those people allow that anxiety to interfere and modify their decision making processes. That's a question that's OT for this thread though, so I'll go read up on that elsewhere.

Message 19 of 28
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, in my case, chase is deferring and not charging fees or interest. Normally they would continue to charge interest.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.