cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover to track Gun Puuchases & purchases at gun stores

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover to track Gun Puuchases & purchases at gun stores

 

All 4 major payment networks in the US announced this morning that they have put their plans on hold.

 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-09/visa-mastercard-pause-work-on-code-aimed-at-gun-p...

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 11 of 31
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover to track Gun Puuchases & purchases at gun stores

IMHO they have no business tracking said purchases as those are tracked by state/federal level already.  Just bought a few guns with my with my AOD Visa actually and obviously no issues.  I suppose one can choose cash over credit to make said purchases, but bottom line is they make money that is their business as a CC company and not to be judge/jury what is right or wrong.   I could go on about this, but them will get in on some things that shouldn't be talked about on forums mainly politics.  Also as mentioned upthread holding such information could have legal issues in certain states.  I know my state has to destroy records after x amt of time so this would hold true likely with CC companies.  Also wanted to temp fate and bought a few thousand rounds of 5.56 ammo with amex and no issues at least thus far Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 31
Roisin
New Contributor

Re: Discover to track Gun Puuchases & purchases at gun stores


@coldfusion wrote:

 

All 4 major payment networks in the US announced this morning that they have put their plans on hold.

 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-09/visa-mastercard-pause-work-on-code-aimed-at-gun-p...


I hope they keep their plans on "hold" indefinately. Something like this has all kinds of nasty implications. Why stop at guns and ammo? What's next?

Message 13 of 31
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover to track Gun Puuchases & purchases at gun stores


@coldfusion wrote:

@CYBERSAM wrote:

So what?!!

Unless they are going to give you more rewards for purchases there is noting they can do!

As long as guns and ammo are bought legally I don't see any issues with this. Government knows who has a permit and what they are buying!

 

Imagine a 5% reward card for buying guns! 😂


Cash+/Max Cash 5% sporting goods category. 

 

 


 @CYBERSAM  In addition, 5% Sporting Goods via grandfathered FNBO Ducks Unlimited. I get 5% cashback on all my guns and ammo Smiley LOL

 

So there's no discussion of politics here, but yet.......the entire premise is purely political.  And for those worried about tracking your gun/ammo purchases, wait until they try to implement the CBDC.  Then there is no more cash, only trackable digital cards/currency.  You won't be able to loan your shooting-range buddy $20 without the Feds knowing. Or pay your bookie.  Or give your child "Tooth Fairy" money, for that matter.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 14 of 31
Lou-natic
Established Contributor

Re: Discover to track Gun Puuchases & purchases at gun stores

The fact is credit card companies shouldn't be in the law enforcement business. How many times does a mass shooting happen and a week or so later there is a blurb about "shooter was known to the FBI"? The Boston bombers were even "known to the FBI" and yet they still got their bombs off and killed/maimed many people. Fix that problem first IMHO. We don't have an information problem, we have a law enforcement agency not doing their job problem. When we have police traveling 500 miles to take a 9 year olds goat (https://reason.com/2023/03/31/police-traveled-500-miles-to-seize-girls-pet-goat-for-slaughter/) and yet they won't do anything to stop somebody that is about to attack innocent civialians you have to wonder just what in the world is going on here with our law enforcement. And then when an active shooter event does occur, you hope you live someplace where the police will even help at all or if they will wait around while the shooter kills everyone first and then go in acting all heroic after the fact.

 

Something isn't right and it has nothing to do with credit card merchant codes.




3/3/24
Message 15 of 31
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover to track Gun Puuchases & purchases at gun stores

Did someone say 5% on "sporting" goods? 👀 point me in the right direction

Message 16 of 31
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover to track Gun Puuchases & purchases at gun stores


@Nomad3 wrote:

Did someone say 5% on "sporting" goods? 👀 point me in the right direction


Ducks unlimited, but not offered anymore.  Just if you already had they allowed you to have legacy version with is 5% sporting goods and 5% gas..  Great card Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 31
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover to track Gun Puuchases & purchases at gun stores

Signed into law in Florida yesterday starting July 1st. SB 214 prohibits credit card companies from using firearm-specific Merchant Category Codes and institutes a fine for violations of Florida’s consumer protections against gun owner registries. Even buying ammo. No go.

 


Message 18 of 31
Legally_Speaking2512
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover to track Gun Puuchases & purchases at gun stores


@CreditCuriosity wrote:

IMHO they have no business tracking said purchases as those are tracked by state/federal level already.  Just bought a few guns with my with my AOD Visa actually and obviously no issues.  I suppose one can choose cash over credit to make said purchases, but bottom line is they make money that is their business as a CC company and not to be judge/jury what is right or wrong.   I could go on about this, but them will get in on some things that shouldn't be talked about on forums mainly politics.  Also as mentioned upthread holding such information could have legal issues in certain states.  I know my state has to destroy records after x amt of time so this would hold true likely with CC companies.  Also wanted to temp fate and bought a few thousand rounds of 5.56 ammo with amex and no issues at least thus far Smiley Happy


I absolutely agree with you. It's not the credit card company's place to police our purchases. While I get that they are trying to take a stance against gun violence - there are other ways. 

 

 

Starting Score: 570
Current Score: 643
Goal Score: 800


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge







Message 19 of 31
crystal626
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover to track Gun Puuchases & purchases at gun stores


@FireMedic1 wrote:

Signed into law in Florida yesterday starting July 1st. SB 214 prohibits credit card companies from using firearm-specific Merchant Category Codes and institutes a fine for violations of Florida’s consumer protections against gun owner registries. Even buying ammo. No go.

 


I wonder if that will result in some banks just choosing not to issue cards to Florida customers.

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.