Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DoJ Opens Anti-trust Investigation into Fair Issac

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

DoJ Opens Anti-trust Investigation into Fair Issac

Politico:

The Justice Department has opened an antitrust investigation into Fair Isaac, the financial company whose credit scores underlie nearly all U.S. consumer credit decisions, according to information obtained by POLITICO.

The probe follows years of complaints from rivals about Fair Isaac's dominance, and comes amid efforts by Congress and financial regulators to inject more competition into the credit score market.

.....In 2006, Experian, Equifax and TransUnion introduced their own credit scoring model, known as VantageScore. Fair Isaac sued the three agencies for antitrust violations, but a court later dismissed those allegations. A federal jury later sided with VantageScore that it didn’t violate Fair Isaac’s trademarks or engage in unfair competition.

.....A December 2018 proposed rule by FHFA ( Federal Housing Finance Agency) would have effectively prohibited Fannie and Freddie from using VantageScore over concerns about conflicts of interest. But the final rule, issued in August, switched gears and allowed the government-sponsored entities to make use of VantageScore as an alternative to FICO scores.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: DoJ Opens Anti-trust Investigation into Fair Issac

@DaveInAZ 
I'll edit too so as to not take away from the article.

Poof! cleaned it up Smiley Very Happy

Image result for spreading pixie dust gif

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 2 of 21
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

This is not directed at any person, and is done in Humor only!

See the source image

Message 3 of 21
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

I don't see it gaining much traction. They provide the best "product" so everyone uses them over other options

Message 4 of 21
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

As a member of MyFico it always bothered me that MyFico staff openly referred to any non-Fico credit scoring as "FAKO". 

MyFico Staff?  Do you mean the Mods and CL's?  If so, they are not paid nor are they considered "Staff".  The "play on words" can be found on any credit website that I've run across.

No, there used to be sticky threads by Admins, especially in scoring forums referring to "FAKO" scores, but they do seemed to have cleaned that up lately. I'll edit my post to just stick to the news.
Message 5 of 21
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:
 I'll edit my post to just stick to the news.

Cool Beans!Smiley Very Happy

Btw, thank you for the posting the article.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 6 of 21
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Who has something to gain by this? That's the question. I don't see FAKO being hurt. Practically every lender uses it in some fashion. FAKO has drastic swings. Not a good option for most credit decisions. JMHO!!

Message 7 of 21
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

Who has something to gain by this? That's the question. I don't see FAKO being hurt. Practically every lender uses it in some fashion. FAKO has drastic swings. Not a good option for most credit decisions. JMHO!!

Heck there are even FAKO Rolex watches  Smiley Very Happy .. I wonder if Rolex gets offended?

Message 8 of 21
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:
 I'll edit my post to just stick to the news.

Cool Beans!Smiley Very Happy

Btw, thank you for the posting the article.

+

Message 9 of 21
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

Vantage 3 is pretty lousy, too volatile - you sneeze the wrong way and your score tanks. But Vantage 4 I've been getting from Sychrony seems much more stable and reliable.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.