Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don’t use your credit card to pay college tuition

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Don’t use your credit card to pay college tuition

"Colleges are making it even easier for students to load up on debt.

Parents and students are able to use their credit cards to pay tuition at many of the largest colleges and universities, according to a recent survey from CreditCards.com. "

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/24/dont-use-your-credit-card-to-pay-college-tuition.html

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Don’t use your credit card to pay college tuition

Great article! Thought about responding by saying you have to pay the college professors $120K a year so don't hamper student payments (rant) until I actually read the article. Yeah ... passing the processing fee to the credit card user could add real dollars to the budget.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

"Colleges are making it even easier for students to load up on debt.

Parents and students are able to use their credit cards to pay tuition at many of the largest colleges and universities, according to a recent survey from CreditCards.com. "

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/24/dont-use-your-credit-card-to-pay-college-tuition.html

Great article, but too late.

I paid my tuition for my last semester for grad school on my Amex Platinum so that I could get my 40K MR points.  The fee was $75, but I turned around and got $250 in statement credit, so I came out $175 in my favor, but otherwise I wouldn't have done it. 

Message 3 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

If I could pay my tuition with a credit card I absolutely would as I can beat the processing fee on most universities that I've seen on it.

Then again I'm not going to let it hang out on said rewards credit card, but why not take the arbitrage play?  No different than any other rewards chasing frankly.

I would agree for the average consumer that doesn't know better, charging it likely no bueno, but for those who understand how various financial products work why not leverage it?

        
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.