Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers

L A Times article states:

"Equifax said it launched a website for people to check whether their data were affected and to sign up for the company’s credit-monitoring services. But a form on the website purportedly offering to “check potential impact” instead just gives users a date on which they must return to Equifax’s website to enroll in credit monitoring. The discrepancy drew quick scorn from consumers on social media. Equifax declined to comment on the issue."

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-equifax-data-breach-20170907-story.html

Message 41 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

Heard about Equifax security breach?

Has anyone else heard about the major Equifax security breach? Apparently hackers were able to access the names, ss numbers, addresses, etc of over 140 mil people. Yet another reason to be super vigilant about keeping an eye on changes to your credit profile.
Message 42 of 519
j615
Regular Contributor

Never really considered going through with freezing all 3 reports until now. I just hate how in my state, it's $10 per agency to freeze and $10 to unfreeze.

Message 43 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

L A Times article states:

"Equifax said it launched a website for people to check whether their data were affected and to sign up for the company’s credit-monitoring services. But a form on the website purportedly offering to “check potential impact” instead just gives users a date on which they must return to Equifax’s website to enroll in credit monitoring. The discrepancy drew quick scorn from consumers on social media. Equifax declined to comment on the issue."

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-equifax-data-breach-20170907-story.html

So like a case study on how NOT to respond to cyber hacks: Delay the public announcement, conduct insider Trading, and botch the response once public. Smiley Frustrated

Message 44 of 519
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@j615 wrote:

Never really considered going through with freezing all 3 reports until now. I just hate how in my state, it's $10 per agency to freeze and $10 to unfreeze.

File a police report for identity theft, then your credit freeze should be $0. 

Message 45 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

EQ still charged me despite police report.  On top of that I had to pay for my police report.

$50 later, all my stuff was on lockdown.  

Wonder if I was tapped despite having a lock on my reports.

Message 46 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is Next???

I have watched and watched all 3 CRAs crash and burn. I thought that out of the 3 Equifax was getting it together. I got a 3 month trial for 3.95 so I could pull my Equifax report because I had to wait 5 months for another free annual. So I did it to get the latest updated report so I could send letters to rectify some personal and business info. I have a attorney ready to go through line by line each reports and finally get corrected. I waited until the July correction and then decided to now wait until the 15th for the medical info to drop, this way I could have all 3 CRAs updated reports. "Go figure the timing of this breach".

This is not a shock to me. It is just a matter of time until the next breach. In the late 90s I said to myself "I wasn't going to get involved with the internet. Well 20 yrs later we ALL have to for certain things." PERIOD"

I try to still do as much as I can without it. I read someone's post that EQ recently told them to send info by paper.

I know you can dispute online and by phone and by mail. Even though it may take a little longer that is the way to go. 

To my Fellow member who was told that, I would say go that route. I personally got the FCRA letter heads along with my Att. Name to  "Hopefully Correct a half dozen items I've been waiting to do for too long". 

I don't know what to say about this. I right away signed up when I read the article and they also gave me my date to go back to the sight, just like the rest of my fellow members. If anyone gets a different reply "Please Post". 

This is a "HUGE" concern for ALL of us. I truly pray nobody gets hurt by this. I am so thankful to MyFico and its members to be able to correspond and read and be able to help each others through times like this. 

I'm going to try my" best " to do as much as I can by" Hard Copy". 

Wish everyone the Best 

Message 47 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been a victim of identity theft before. Cleaning up my credit profile was an absolute nightmare due, in large part, the credit bureaus general carelessness and determination to make the process hard and inconvenient. I hate that it's easy for all sorts of stuff to be added to your file by complete strangers, but getting errors removed is very often difficult. It's ridiculous and security breaches like this just compound problems for people.
Message 48 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

What makes me grumpy as heck is that I never authorized Equifax or any credit agency to possess my personal information. 

Message 49 of 519
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

EQ still charged me despite police report.  On top of that I had to pay for my police report.

$50 later, all my stuff was on lockdown.  

Wonder if I was tapped despite having a lock on my reports.

Yeah, in a few states, there are no laws regarding who should be charged for the freeze, and the fee associated with it. A Fraud Alert is free with all three bureaus, and can be a good initial step to take if you think you might become a victim of identity theft. 

My state (Nevada) has some of the highest fees for credit freezes outside of Identity Theft: 

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-freeze-data-1276.php

Message 50 of 519
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.