Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers

Here we go again.  It wasn't but a few years ago I got the dreaded letter from the U.S. government warning me my security clearance info had been compromised at the Office of Personnel and that they would pay for ONE YEAR of credit protection.  I ignored it at the time because I couldn't finance a friggin' pencil with my credit scores at the time (right after a nasty divorce).  This time I've got much better credit at risk but I, like many, got the "9/11" message.  I'm still trying to figure out **bleep** to do this time around.  SMDH...you'd think these entities would learn better and get better and better with time but I guess not.  Shrug.

Message 81 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just read somewhere that by signing up to use Equifax's credit monitoring service - TrustedId Premier, you agree not to participate in any class action lawsuit against Equifax. That's according to TrustedId Premiers terms of service. Anyone else seen any info regarding that?
Message 82 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

Free monitoring for 365 days is an insult to our intelligence. The hacked data is out there forever ... identities can be stolen 2, 3, 5, 10 years from now. It's not like we can just reset our social security number and birthdate. They need to give free lifetime monitoring to anyone impacted. 

Message 83 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I've been reading the 1.8 million shares sold by a exec, the SEC checked out and it was ligitamite. But who knows these days, everyone has a hand in the pocket. This is the World we live in. Now it's getting very serious, in every aspect. We need to step it up.

Very Concerned 

Message 84 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax Security Breach

Same here. When I applied for a Children's Place card I was told I had a freeze on my account which I never asked for and one of my installment accounts just disappeared off my equifax back in June. One concern I have is if this mess will affect us getting a loan for a home in February. I know the mortgage company is going to look at all three of our reports. 

Message 85 of 519
EW800
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I just read somewhere that by signing up to use Equifax's credit monitoring service - TrustedId Premier, you agree not to participate in any class action lawsuit against Equifax. That's according to TrustedId Premiers terms of service. Anyone else seen any info regarding that?

That does not surprise me at all.  The CEO stated in the audio messages that he wants Equifax to be remembered for how they have handled this.  So far, I am NOT impressed.  Over a month to inform consumers, informing us just when one of the biggest storms ever is approaching the US, three executives selling stock a couple of days after the breach was discovered (one being hte CFO), only making the monitoring service for one year when we could be facing issues from this years from now, and having to agree to no class action lawsuit for a service that they are likely paying very little for (per consumer).  

Not impressed, Equifax...

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2023: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $48.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $22.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $21K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $296K
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $10 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 86 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

Serious question, my EQ has been locked (via TU) since April except for brief moments when I unlocked it for Discover and PenFed apps in May and July, do you guys think I may have been lucky enough to escape this carnage?
Message 87 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EW800 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That does not surprise me at all.  The CEO stated in the audio messages that he wants Equifax to be remembered for how they have handled this.  So far, I am NOT impressed.  Over a month to inform consumers, informing us just when one of the biggest storms ever is approaching the US, three executives selling stock a couple of days after the breach was discovered (one being hte CFO), only making the monitoring service for one year when we could be facing issues from this years from now, and having to agree to no class action lawsuit for a service that they are likely paying very little for (per consumer).  

You have to agree to no class action lawsuit to use their free service?  Credit Karma monitors Equifax for free.  I hope no one falls for their free service.

Message 88 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Serious question, my EQ has been locked (via TU) since April except for brief moments when I unlocked it for Discover and PenFed apps in May and July, do you guys think I may have been lucky enough to escape this carnage?

Nope.

Message 89 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@EW800 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You have to agree to no class action lawsuit to use their free service?  Credit Karma monitors Equifax for free.  I hope no one falls for their free service.

Nope, I have already decided that DH and I don't need this ridiculous service. I have FICO Ultimate and he has CCT, and we are both going to freeze our reports. I didn't agree to any terms of service yet, so I think I'm good.

Message 90 of 519
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.