cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Do you think that lock and alert plus page supposedly fro...

@Anonymous wrote:
Do you think that lock and alert plus page supposedly from equifax is genuine?

When you click Sign Up it takes you a https: page: https://www.econsumer.equifax.com/

econsomer.equiifax.com is what I get with my EQ service, and when I click the lock icon in the upper left my Firefox browser says "Secure Connection, Equifax, Inc." so I think it's genuine.

Message 501 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do you think that lock and alert plus page supposedly fro...

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Do you think that lock and alert plus page supposedly from equifax is genuine?

When you click Sign Up it takes you a https: page: https://www.econsumer.equifax.com/

econsomer.equiifax.com is what I get with my EQ service, and when I click the lock icon in the upper left my Firefox browser says "Secure Connection, Equifax, Inc." so I think it's genuine.

Thanks DaveinAZ ! Smiley Happy

Message 502 of 519
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

Re: Equifax - data breach - 143 million US consumers

https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/10/equifax-hack-included-nearly-11-million-us-drivers-licenses/

...and the fun keeps on getting fun-ner. Or is that funnier?  At this point I guess it really doesn't matter much anymore.

I always try and look at the positive side of anything bad that happens in life but right now I'm struggling a wee bit.  

Maybe if someone opens a new credit line in my name at least they'll be able to legally buy beer with it? Smiley Wink

Message 503 of 519
elim
Senior Contributor

I just received my letter from EQ about my dispute documents being accessed. "Depending on what documents were uploaded during a dispute...". Blahhhhhhhhh. I clearly remember asking them why I had to upload this sensitive info to remove a ton of duplicate address info from my report (fourth street vs 4th st., etc) "we must verify", really? I just did the same on both other CR's without this. WTH, these people really need to pay up for this, go offline, then get a clue about security before allowed to do business again.  I also remember having to take an even more perfect image and uploading it again. Must be so the hackers could see it more easily. Really sorry for the rant. #negligence

sighhhhhh

Message 504 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel for you, I just dont know about EQ. You are probably right about offline. I would be extra careful also. This is a nightmare and your ranting and raving is justified.
Be safe and enjoy your day
Message 505 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone here actually been notified by EQ that "yes", their SSN/account-info was part of the leak? I'm not talking about that silly webpage they setup shortly after the leak was made public, I mean something in the mail specific to you verifying your data was leaked. I haven't heard of anyone receiving anything like that yet.

(and off topic, why is the font so large with this new forum look?)

Message 506 of 519
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

I didn't receive anything from Equifax. I did get a new debit card from my CU right after it, where I had bought scores from Equifax in the months prior to the announcement. Circumstancial at best, but that's all I've got.

I did take the free year of monitoring from them, though. It's not bad, except it doesn't come with scores.
2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 507 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ardecko wrote:
I didn't receive anything from Equifax. I did get a new debit card from my CU right after it, where I had bought scores from Equifax in the months prior to the announcement. Circumstancial at best, but that's all I've got.

I did take the free year of monitoring from them, though. It's not bad, except it doesn't come with scores.
You're not missing anything, EQ provides VantageScore 3.0 score with their higher tier products, you can get that for free on CK.
Message 508 of 519
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You're not missing anything, EQ provides VantageScore 3.0 score with their higher tier products, you can get that for free on CK.

No, EQ provides a score of their own creation, it's not Fico and not Vantage.

I lucked out, I did a 30 day trial of the Equifax Complete Premier service that was due to end 9/3, just a few days before they went public with the data breach, and they've continued my Complete Premier service at no charge. My EQ Complete Premier score is 721, my CK Vantage EQ score is 696, both updated yesterday.

I did sign up for the EQ TrustedID service but don't use it, it's complete crap on it's own, but especially compared to Complete Premier - which unfortunately is no longer available to sign up for, new EQ customers can only get TrustedID.

Message 509 of 519
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only good thing about the trustedid is it creates a web portal where you can click to lock or unlock your report. Other than that I agree completely worthless, I can't believe I will waive my right to sue in exchange for it. What a horrible company Equifax is, I can't believe they're allowed to continue operations. It shows how dependent Americans are on credit and Reporting to function our society. Almost 200 million people it's a lot of people, this act will be brutalizing people for years.
Message 510 of 519
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.