cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax will reportedly pay $700 million in fines due to the 2017 security breach

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Equifax will reportedly pay $700 million in fines due to the 2017 security breach

There are a number of news reports but here's an example from the Wall Street Journal.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/equifax-to-pay-around-700-million-to-resolve-data-breach-probes-1156357...

I'm interested in details of the agreement as I'm one of the approx. 182,000 people known to have documentation exfiltrated as a result of the compromse.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 1 of 82
81 REPLIES 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax will reportedly pay $700 million in fines due to the 2017 security breach

@coldfusion wrote:

I'm interested in details of the agreement as I'm one of the approx. 182,000 people known to have documentation exfiltrated as a result of the compromse.

There is now a website for the details, and at the bottom it says:

"This Is The Official Settlement Website For The Equifax Data Breach Settlement.

It Is Operated By The Settlement Administrator, Not By Equifax."

This part looks good:

• At least 4 years of three-bureau credit monitoring, offered through Experian. You can also get up to 6 more years of free one-bureau credit monitoring through Equifax.
  • If you already have credit monitoring services that will continue for at least 6 more months, you may be eligible for a cash payment of $125.
Message 2 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax will reportedly pay $700 million in fines due to the 2017 security breach

@Anonymous wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

"This Is The Official Settlement Website For The Equifax Data Breach Settlement.

This part looks good:

• At least 4 years of three-bureau credit monitoring, offered through Experian. You can also get up to 6 more years of free one-bureau credit monitoring through Equifax.
  • If you already have credit monitoring services that will continue for at least 6 more months, you may be eligible for a cash payment of $125.

4 years of credit monitoring? I would take that. 

Message 3 of 82
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

This part looks good:

4 years of credit monitoring? I would take that. 

There is no listing of criteria regarding what constitutes "a class member".     Unlike 146 million+ other people,  Equifax had notified me directly and personally with specific details of what was exfiltrated but given how attorneys work I can't assume at this point that I will be assigned any kind of status or priority. 

I'm not looking for blood money, but so far I'm not impressed. 

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusion wrote:

There is no listing of criteria regarding what constitutes "a class member".   

Not yet: "When the website is updated, you will be able to see if you are a class member and, if so, to file a claim for the benefits listed below. Please note that none of these benefits will be distributed or available until the settlement is finally approved by the Court.

That website is very new, and they say the Court approval process might take up to 6 months!

Unlike 146 million+ other people,  Equifax had notified me directly and personally with specific details of what was exfiltrated but given how attorneys work I can't assume at this point that I will be assigned any kind of status or priority. 

I'm not looking for blood money, but so far I'm not impressed. 

CNBC has some good information, including a link to the actual court filings from the FTC.

CNBC also points out it may be hard to prove 'damages' in this case because the data was never found online.

Message 5 of 82
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Sweet. Looking forward to my $1.28 check after the lawyers take their cut.

Message 6 of 82
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

You used AMEX math.  that $1.28 is what's left to be split across all the claimants.

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Message 7 of 82
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@coldfusion wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

You used AMEX math.  that $1.28 is what's left to be split across all the claimants.

Thank you for double-checking my work.

Message 8 of 82
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

The part that gets me? "Equifax denied any wrongdoing in the breach as part of the settlement"

So, you don't think there was anything wrong with letting someone access your our data for months before you finally caught on? You don't think there was anything wrong that you hid what happened from the public for months while your execs sold your stock? You don't think there was anything wrong that the breach was caused by your failure to install a software update marked "urgent" by the maker?

But, I understand why the lawyers negotiated that - $700 million is pocket change and business as usual, while admitting criminal negligence might actually hurt the company.

Message 9 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

The website now provides a way to check if you are eligible to file a claim.

I decided to take the $125 'Alternative Reimbursement Compensation' over the 4 year free credit monitoring option.

Then I noticed this:

"If there are more than $31 million claims for Alternative Reimbursement Compensation, all payments for Alternative Reimbursement Compensation will be lowered and distributed on a proportional basis."

Great. So I'd have to hope that less than 248,000 people apply for the $125 to get the full amount. Looking forward to my $1.28 check.

Message 10 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.