cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax will reportedly pay $700 million in fines due to the 2017 security breach

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax will reportedly pay $700 million in fines due to the 2017 security breach

Seriously, it seems clear as day that this was a state-sponsored attack, most likely by a foreign power, to target specific people. If it was a regular criminal theft, it would have turned up online by now. Thieves are greedy and impatient, it’s been years and nothing has come of it. Most of us who were impacted opted to freeze our credit reports anyway so the point is pretty much moot.
Message 21 of 82
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Equifax will reportedly pay $700 million in fines due to the 2017 security breach

@Anonymous wrote:
most likely by a foreign power, to target specific people.

Ha!  It sure wasn't me and my crap....I couldn't have paid anyone to steal my identity.  And if someone would have been dumb enough, well, you get what you pay for.Smiley Tongue   Guess I won't be worried about compensation, clearly nutin' happened on my end.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 22 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Seriously, it seems clear as day that this was a state-sponsored attack, most likely by a foreign power, to target specific people. If it was a regular criminal theft, it would have turned up online by now. Thieves are greedy and impatient, it’s been years and nothing has come of it. Most of us who were impacted opted to freeze our credit reports anyway so the point is pretty much moot.

What's to say? "Aliens" at Roswell New Mexico ... it has to be! Smiley Frustrated

Message 23 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax Data Breach Settlement Options... Anyone else?

Mods... please move if this should be posted somewhere else...

In the choices for the data breach settlement, part of the settlement offers 125.00 for compensation if you already have current credit monitoring, or all 3 bureau monitoring free of charge (doesn't say who this would be through).

Anyone know who the monitoring would be through? It also says that Experian would provide 4 years minimum free of credit monitoring, Equifax an additional 6 years.

Has anyone else started to fill out the breach settlement yet?

**Edited to add... found out that the 3 bureau monitoring will be through Experian.
Message 24 of 82
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

The website now provides a way to check if you are eligible to file a claim.

I decided to take the $125 'Alternative Reimbursement Compensation' over the 4 year free credit monitoring option.

Then I noticed this:

"If there are more than $31 million claims for Alternative Reimbursement Compensation, all payments for Alternative Reimbursement Compensation will be lowered and distributed on a proportional basis."

Great. So I'd have to hope that less than 248,000 people apply for the $125 to get the full amount. Looking forward to my $1.28 check.

But the lawyers will still get their $210MM

Message 25 of 82
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do we even know the extent of the damage though, there could be fallout from this several years later. With all that info to mine, I doubt everyone who was affected are going to have identity issues the first year. And is $125 enough compensation for those people who had their credit compromised? It's a lot of work to cleaning this type of thing up, no? 

Also, if you accept this settlement. Doesn't it mean that you cannot file suit sperately for any damages/mental anguish if it happens 2 years from now?

I'm sure you'll be opted out of being able to sue EQ in the future.

Message 26 of 82
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Equifax Data Breach Settlement Options... Anyone else?

@Anonymous wrote:
Mods... please move if this should be posted somewhere else...

In the choices for the data breach settlement, part of the settlement offers 125.00 for compensation if you already have current credit monitoring, or all 3 bureau monitoring free of charge (doesn't say who this would be through).

Anyone know who the monitoring would be through? It also says that Experian would provide 4 years minimum free of credit monitoring, Equifax an additional 6 years.

Has anyone else started to fill out the breach settlement yet?

**Edited to add... found out that the 3 bureau monitoring will be through Experian.

While it would be nice to have EQ access, and possibly scores, I'm grandfathered in with EX and receive monitoring for free that other people have to pay for. I don't want to give that up.

Message 27 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well then, how in the hell do you prove you have had myfico since 2017? They don't give statments.

Message 28 of 82
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well then, how in the hell do you prove you have had myfico since 2017? They don't give statments.

I believe your alerts would show all the way back to the begining..mine do.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 29 of 82
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The website now provides a way to check if you are eligible to file a claim.

I decided to take the $125 'Alternative Reimbursement Compensation' over the 4 year free credit monitoring option.

Then I noticed this:

"If there are more than $31 million claims for Alternative Reimbursement Compensation, all payments for Alternative Reimbursement Compensation will be lowered and distributed on a proportional basis."

Great. So I'd have to hope that less than 248,000 people apply for the $125 to get the full amount. Looking forward to my $1.28 check.

Yeah, I filed for the $125 instead of credit monitoring yesterday. I noticed that $31 million cap but didn't do the math - you're right, that's a max of 248,000 people at $125 when 147 million were affected. But for those who haven't filed yet you can get up to 20 hours at $25/hour for time spent 'dealing with the breach'. Up to 10 hours required no documentation so I claimed 4 hours for setting up monitoring services and locking my credit reports, and 4 hours for pulling all 3 reports from the free annualcreditreport site and going through them looking for unauthorized accounts & inquiries. But that fund is capped at $31 mil as well. We'll see.

Message 30 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.