cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax will reportedly pay $700 million in fines due to the 2017 security breach

tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Equifax will reportedly pay $700 million in fines due to the 2017 security breach

@Anonymous wrote:

The website now provides a way to check if you are eligible to file a claim.

I decided to take the $125 'Alternative Reimbursement Compensation' over the 4 year free credit monitoring option.

Then I noticed this:

"If there are more than $31 million claims for Alternative Reimbursement Compensation, all payments for Alternative Reimbursement Compensation will be lowered and distributed on a proportional basis."

Great. So I'd have to hope that less than 248,000 people apply for the $125 to get the full amount. Looking forward to my $1.28 check.

I guess it would have been too much like right that if I were the 249K person, I would automatically be converted to the 4-yr monitoring. I’m already mad because like you, I’m imagining $1.28 🤬

I applied yesterday. When did y’all apply. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 31 of 82
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Equifax will reportedly pay $700 million in fines due to the 2017 security breach

The general public is not likely even aware of this, they are busy with other things on their minds, the only place you would normally find such things advertised are in magazines like AARP, Readers Digest and the like, then again most dont even bother to file. I did not think I had been affected, glad I decided to check, I filed for the cash payment today.

Message 32 of 82
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

The general public is not likely even aware of this, they are busy with other things on their minds, the only place you would normally find such things advertised are in magazines like AARP, Readers Digest and the like, then again most dont even bother to file. I did not think I had been affected, glad I decided to check, I filed for the cash payment today.

This is what I’m hoping for. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 33 of 82
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Right, but 248k people is a far cry from the 'general public' ($31 mil. cap /$125 payout) Probably more people than that read Doctor of Credit which has posted prominently about this, although yeah probably far fewer than that bother with MyFico.

Message 34 of 82
WolfMan
Regular Contributor

It's all over the local news here in Ohio. They even set up links on the TV stations website. 

I think I'm going to opt out. I'm not giving up any rights for what could be 3 dollars. 

That's just me. You know, Just in case. Smiley Happy 

Message 35 of 82
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

This is what I’m hoping for. 

The NY Post is hardly one of my more trusted news sources, but this jumped out at me in my Google News feed -

Americans go crazy over Equifax data breach reimbursements

Interest in Equifax jumped on Thursday after regulators announced the company will be paying up to $20,000 to victims of its massive 2017 security breach.

Equifax, known for doling out consumer credit ratings, became the No. 1 trending topic on Google Thursday as consumers searched for how they might pocket a little bit of that dough, according to trends.google.com. 

Message 36 of 82
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@WolfMan wrote:

It's all over the local news here in Ohio. They even set up links on the TV stations website. 

I think I'm going to opt out. I'm not giving up any rights for what could be 3 dollars. 

That's just me. You know, Just in case. Smiley Happy 

That's what I was thinking....nobody would have gotten anything worth while on my end anyway, but ynk. Would rather wait and see.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 37 of 82
DoogieBall
Regular Contributor

I didn't think I was affected but I decided to apply.  Said after the first screen I was affected.

Can't wait to get my check for $1.28 Smiley LOL

R.I.P Cards 

Message 38 of 82
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Not a word in the local news where I am but I live in no mans land, doesnt surprise me. A lot of people think the internet is where everyone is at, it isn't. I also know lots of people who never use it at home or on their smartphones. Oh well it is what it is if its $1.28 then its $1.28 more than I have now....
Message 39 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6  MyFicoers just can't let a dollar slide through their fingers. Smiley Happy

Reminds me, I got $107 in the AT&T Settlement that was back so far I forgotten I even had had AT&T Service!

Message 40 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.