cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax will reportedly pay $700 million in fines due to the 2017 security breach

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax will reportedly pay $700 million in fines due to the 2017 security breach

Is anyone doing the Experian credit monitoring? I just signed up today for the trial to run my report and had no idea this was going on until literally an hour after I opened my account. Go figure. Would I be eligible to have the service paid since I just opened today?
Message 41 of 82
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Equifax Breach -get your $125 or forfeit your claim for ever

There is a link on here where you can check to see if your information was included in the breach.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/26/us/equifax-breach-settlement-questions-answered-trnd/index.html

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 42 of 82
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Equifax Breach -get your $125 or forfeit your claim for ever

Message 43 of 82
Gonzozap
Frequent Contributor

Re: Equifax Breach -get your $125 or forfeit your claim for ever

Someone posted an earlier link to check to see if your identity was part of the breach.  Kaspersky wouldn't open that site for me.

You can also go here if you experienced a similar problem.

https://eligibility.equifaxbreachsettlement.com/en/eligibility

Message 44 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax will reportedly pay $700 million in fines due to the 2017 security breach

@gdale6 wrote:

The general public is not likely even aware of this, they are busy with other things on their minds, the only place you would normally find such things advertised are in magazines like AARP, Readers Digest and the like, then again most dont even bother to file. I did not think I had been affected, glad I decided to check, I filed for the cash payment today.

Eh?

Its been a prominent story in my Google News and Apple News feeds. This isn't a normal settlement, it's huge given the size of the breach and everyone is reporting on it. 

Message 45 of 82
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@gdale6  MyFicoers just can't let a dollar slide through their fingers. Smiley Happy

Reminds me, I got $107 in the AT&T Settlement that was back so far I forgotten I even had had AT&T Service!

I got a $16.xx check earlier this year that was an alleged price fixing settlement for bagged ice. I don't remember signing up for it and can't remember the last time I bought a bag of ice, so I was suspicious and my local CU charges $25 for a Returned Item so I wasn't going to risk depositing it. It was drawn on US Bank so the next time I went by a branch I stopped to cash it - it was good, free lunch!

Message 46 of 82
ohjoy
Frequent Contributor

What will the credit montitoring offer? Alerts, reports, scores, or all of the above?

Starting Score (May 2017): 584 TU
Current Scores: 752 TU, 717 EQ, 750 EX

Goal Score: 820+

Message 47 of 82
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Message 48 of 82
Gonzozap
Frequent Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

We can kiss our $125 goodbye.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/07/26/you-could-make-125-by-filling-out-this-equifax-data-breach-claim...

I presume you say that because of the overall $$$ limit.  The settlement does state there is a limit.

I actually believe this was just a ploy and Equifax expects from the very beginning that no one will get $125.  With this news and announcement being discussed EVERYWHERE online, everybody and their mother, father, uncle, nephew, niece-in-law, and granddaddy will be applying.  Dead people will probably sign up. The $$$ are probably already exhausted (about 240,000 consumers). It was stupid from the beginning and the court shouldn't have approved it. Over 140 million affected, but yet only allow 240,000 to respond & get the full $125 ?????   Meaning, no one gets $125.  Really?

Equifax knows that the VAST MAJORITY of people will sign away any and all future claims in exchange for the (possible) $125 or free monitoring.  It's a farce.

I know all class actions work this way, but for the harm that people could possibly suffer FOREVER with our identity permanently in the hands of crooks, this settlement should have been different.  It's not like we bought a bottle of aspirin that was mislabeled.  We could encounter a problem years down the road.  I'm going to opt out.  Nothing they are offering is worth letting Equifax off the hook forever.  I believe anyone who logs onto that site, enters their info and finds their identity was stolen should opt out.  We should not let Equifax get away with paying us $1.00.  And credit monitoring cost them NOTHING!

Equifax will suffer little from this.  It'll be like a house arrest.

Message 49 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@gdale6  MyFicoers just can't let a dollar slide through their fingers. Smiley Happy

Reminds me, I got $107 in the AT&T Settlement that was back so far I forgotten I even had had AT&T Service!

I got a $16.xx check earlier this year that was an alleged price fixing settlement for bagged ice. I don't remember signing up for it and can't remember the last time I bought a bag of ice, so I was suspicious and my local CU charges $25 for a Returned Item so I wasn't going to risk depositing it. It was drawn on US Bank so the next time I went by a branch I stopped to cash it - it was good, free lunch!

I'm weary of chacks just showing up, too goo to be true, with all the fraud going on these days. I make darn sure I know who the check is from, before depositing it. If the issuer is unknown to me, I simply cash it.

That said, just yesterday I did receive a $92 check from the BP Class Action about improper fees etc.

Message 50 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.