cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax will reportedly pay $700 million in fines due to the 2017 security breach

tag
buskels
Valued Member

Equifax Data Breach - Claiming Time Spent - What to include?

Affected by the breach and having experienced at least 3 attempts of people using my info, I am trying to track the time spent. My phone number was used as part of 2 scams (one succeeded in getting $1700 in phones and airpods) so I had to change it (had that number for 15 years!). Per the settlement, time spent can be claimed up to 20 hours at $25/hr and I want to include as much as I can.  I'm not out much money (phones were written off) but many hours has been spent on this.

Please let me know if there is something obvious I may be overlooking.  I think I have it all but perhaps this list could be useful to others.  

Thank you for any assistance or advice!

Here are things I am tracking: 

1. Phone calls about ID theft to phone provider (multiple)
  2. Mileage to/from store and time spent talking with managers
  3. Mileage to/from police station, and time spent filing report
  4. Phone calls with police
  5. Identity theft report
  6. Tax fee for extra identity protection related to breach
  7. Password updates (most sites listed with phone number updates)
  8. Phone number updates (70+ so far).   Had that phone number for 15 years.
    1. school sites, credit cards, utilities, store sites, health/dental insurance, insurance, banks, credit unions, investments, doctors, hospitals, dealerships, mobile stores, software sites, email, social, subcription services, 
    2. Every time I think I have them all, I find another
  9. Chat logs and messages with companies relating to issue
  10. Time spent freezing, unfreezing (2 vehicle purchases, 2 refinances) 
  11. Notifying personal contacts of updated contact info
  12. Credit monitoring services

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/refunds/equifax-data-breach-settlement

Starting Score: 689 (Feb 2013)
Current Score: 743
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 51 of 82
Dirge
Contributor

Re: Equifax will reportedly pay $700 million in fines due to the 2017 security breach

I was thinking of doing the monitoring, since I doubt that Equifax will end up paying the full $125, but tonight I found out about the Cap1 breach and I've had 3 cards with them since 2005, so I might be part of THAT monitoring if they offer it. It's a puzzlement! 

Message 52 of 82
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Re: Equifax will reportedly pay $700 million in fines due to the 2017 security breach

@Dirge wrote:

I was thinking of doing the monitoring, since I doubt that Equifax will end up paying the full $125, but tonight I found out about the Cap1 breach and I've had 3 cards with them since 2005, so I might be part of THAT monitoring if they offer it. It's a puzzlement! 

Problem is their credit monitoring might be through creditvwise, since they already provide that, which is a vs2 based score.

Message 53 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Andypanda wrote:

@Dirge wrote:

Problem is their credit monitoring might be through creditvwise, since they already provide that, which is a vs2 based score.

It's being provided through Experian. (I don't blame you one bit for thinking the worst, either! )

"The Settlement Administrator will provide you with an activation code and link to the Experian website where you can enroll and activate your Credit Monitoring Services."

https://www.equifaxbreachsettlement.com/faq

Message 54 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Andypanda wrote:

@Dirge wrote:

It's being provided through Experian. (I don't blame you one bit for thinking the worst, either! )

"The Settlement Administrator will provide you with an activation code and link to the Experian website where you can enroll and activate your Credit Monitoring Services."

No he was referring to the monitoring Capital One might provide. 

I highly doubt its going to be Credit Wise though. 

Message 55 of 82
harlemnygirl

I am thinking of taking my chances with the $125.00.  I pay for MyFico for credit monitoring.  I love MyFico!    I don't want another monitoring program.  I wish they could reimburse me for what I pay for MyFico.  

Starting Score: 657
Current Score: 735
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 56 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Andypanda wrote:

@Dirge wrote:

No he was referring to the monitoring Capital One might provide. 

I highly doubt its going to be Credit Wise though. 

Thanks, Saeren. I totally missed the context switch from one breach to another, which probably makes Capital One happy.

Message 57 of 82
Dirge
Contributor

Yes, sorry, I switched from one breach I'm affected by to the OTHER one I'm affected by! Sorry to hijack the topic. 

I'll wait a bit and see if Cap1 clarifies what it's going to offer. I hadn't even considered CreditWise. 

Thanks, all!

Message 58 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got an email from the FTC suggesting people go read the update on the website and it says the following. 

“5. I thought I could choose $125 instead of free credit monitoring. What happened?

The public response to the settlement has been overwhelming. Millions of people have visited this site in just the first week. Because the total amount available for these alternative payments is $31 million, each person who takes the money option is going to get a very small amount. Nowhere near the $125 they could have gotten if there hadn’t been such an enormous number of claims filed.

The free credit monitoring provides a much better value, and everyone whose information was exposed can take advantage of it. If your information was exposed in the data breach, and you file a valid claim before the deadline, you are guaranteed at least four years of free monitoring at all three credit bureaus(Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) and $1,000,000 of identity theft insurance, among other benefits. The market value of this product is hundreds of dollars per year.

You can still choose the cash option on the claim form, but you will be disappointed with the amount you receive and you won’t get the free credit monitoring.”

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/refunds/equifax-data-breach-settlement

Message 59 of 82
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Just got an email from the FTC suggesting people go read the update on the website and it says the following. 

“5. I thought I could choose $125 instead of free credit monitoring. What happened?

The public response to the settlement has been overwhelming. Millions of people have visited this site in just the first week. Because the total amount available for these alternative payments is $31 million, each person who takes the money option is going to get a very small amount. Nowhere near the $125 they could have gotten if there hadn’t been such an enormous number of claims filed.

The free credit monitoring provides a much better value, and everyone whose information was exposed can take advantage of it. If your information was exposed in the data breach, and you file a valid claim before the deadline, you are guaranteed at least four years of free monitoring at all three credit bureaus(Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) and $1,000,000 of identity theft insurance, among other benefits. The market value of this product is hundreds of dollars per year.

You can still choose the cash option on the claim form, but you will be disappointed with the amount you receive and you won’t get the free credit monitoring.”

Yup, saw this on CNBC, 31M is pitiful should have been in the billions.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/31/ftc-equifax-might-run-out-of-cash-so-please-take-monitoring.html

Message 60 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.