cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax will reportedly pay $700 million in fines due to the 2017 security breach

tag
SleeplessinMA
Regular Contributor

Re: Equifax will reportedly pay $700 million in fines due to the 2017 security breach

@CreditInspired wrote:

I applied yesterday. When did y’all apply. 

I applied last night myself. 

My Wallet

Installment Loans

Current Scores 5/05/23

Current Mortgage Scores 5/05/23

Message 61 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax will reportedly pay $700 million in fines due to the 2017 security breach

Message 62 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

From the FTC, July 31: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2019/07/equifax-data-breach-pick-free-credit-monitoring

"For those who have already submitted claims for this cash payment, look for an email from the settlement administrator. They’ll be asking you for the name of the credit monitoring service you already have. Or, if you want to change your mind, you’ll have a chance to switch to the free credit monitoring."

I'm going to switch to the free credit monitoring, because getting that 78 cent check is gonna make me mad when it shows up next year.

Message 63 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Free Credit Report Montioring from Experian Settlement

I was one of them and requested the free montioring. Found out its joke, cheap, garbage. They use  the "Total" package for customers becuase it comes with FAKO VantageScore and annual credit report. Seriously? That explains they wanna pocket money for the lawyers and the corruption people then leave us with what, garabge settlement.

Take a look: https://www.identityguard.com/plans

I rather stick with my premium membership with Experian Credit Montoring, its the far best I know on the web!

Message 64 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Free Credit Report Montioring from Experian Settlement

@Anonymous wrote:

I was one of them and requested the free montioring. Found out its joke, cheap, garbage. They use  the "Total" package for customers becuase it comes with FAKO VantageScore and annual credit report. Seriously? That explains they wanna pocket money for the lawyers and the corruption people then leave us with what, garabge settlement.

I rather stick with my premium membership with Experian Credit Montoring, its the far best I know on the web!

You running CreditWorks or IdentityWorks?

Message 65 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the CreditWorks Premium membership.

Message 66 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Where did you find out that this is the service? As far as I can tell, it's not run by Experian which is who is named as the provider of the credit monitoring. 

Message 67 of 82
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I signed the settlement for the $125 payout. Expecting to get maybe $1 if I'm lucky. Terrible how the cash option is capped out at $30 million for everyone. 

I would call it 'criminal" instead of "terrible". By comparison the guy who was CEO during the data breach got a $90 million payout when he "retired".

Message 68 of 82
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Equifax settlement credit monitoring

Apologies if there's already an active thread on this. I looked and didn't see one, but my search skills on this board are iffy.

I was affected by the Equifax data breach, and I opted for the free credit monitoring service.

Since then, Equifax has been spamming me with email offers to sign up for their credit monitoring service for 50% off. (Which strikes me as a typically mobbed-up, trashy Equifax thing to do, probably hoping that people who requested the free service will get confused and pay for the discounted service, but I digress.)

Just making sure I haven't missed the boat on the free service or that there are no other steps I should be taking for now. Are we all just waiting, now? Thanks!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 69 of 82
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Equifax settlement credit monitoring

I was affected too and EQ sent me an email saying we still have until Jan 2020 to take action.  Idk really what all is involved.  I will try to find the email and post info.  But it seemed like it was an either/or type thing.  That's why I chose to do nothing yet.  There is a thread here, pretty big one but can't remember the title.  Someone will probably post a link here shortly.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 70 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.