Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FED Chief: Student Loan Debt Should be Dischargeable

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FED Chief: Student Loan Debt Should be Dischargeable

Burgeoning levels of student loan debt could slow down economic growth over time, Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell said Thursday.

Education debt swelled to nearly $1.38 trillion at the end of 2017, with 11 percent of borrowers 90 days or more delinquent, according to the New York Fed.

He also wondered why student debt can't be discharged in bankruptcy.

"I'd be at a loss to explain why that should be the case," he said, while acknowledging that the issue is one for Congress to tackle.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/01/student-loan-problems-could-hold-back-economic-growth-fed-chief-says...

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
fuzzle
Regular Contributor

Re: FED Chief: Student Loan Debt Should be Dischargeable

Is that guy really a banker? Doesn't understand that lending on those terms is really just giving away money? Well I guess that is how bankers are in the age free government money

Message 2 of 24
jl4
Established Contributor

Somewhat related: https://m.mic.com/articles/187807/want-to-grow-the-us-economycancel-student-debt-new-report-shows#.L...

The study showed the 10-year GDP increase would be substantial if all student loan debt was forgiven in place of the large tax credit that recently took place.
EQ8: 779 (Inq: 1) | TU8: 771 (Inq: 0) | EX8: 763 (Inq: 4)
Total Rev: $182,500
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dischargeable? Smiley LOL So another words off the hook?

Message 4 of 24
sueblue34
Frequent Contributor

I’d file bankruptcy just to get rid of my student loans lol
Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sueblue34wrote:
I’d file bankruptcy just to get rid of my student loans lol

Confusion ... student loans can be Bk'd?

Message 6 of 24
sueblue34
Frequent Contributor

That’s what the article is questioning - why student loans aren’t discharged in bankruptcy

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sueblue34wrote:
That’s what the article is questioning - why student loans aren’t discharged in bankruptcy

Just curious is problem because young folks got in way over their head? in loans as in kept changing what they... want to do in life? for a person like myself I'd have no choice to pay back the loan my parents even said so.

Message 8 of 24
sueblue34
Frequent Contributor

No I actually didn’t change my major. Have a masters degree but I knew nothing about scholarships or grants. I was the first in my family to go to college so I had to figure everything out myself. My first degree was paid for purely throughly financial aid but my BS and MHL degree was achieved from loans.
Message 9 of 24
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymouswrote:

@sueblue34wrote:

Just curious is problem because young folks got in way over their head? in loans as in kept changing what they... want to do in life? for a person like myself I'd have no choice to pay back the loan my parents even said so.

Education costs have rapidly outpaced inflation over the past couple of decades, and wages are relatively stagnant.   And SLs are nearly impossible to discharge in BK, even though nearly every other type of debt is.   When I declared BK, I had about $30K of CC debt wiped clean, but the SLs remained.   I continued to struggle after BK, so the SLs were defaulted for a while.   I'm still paying SLs and will be paying for a considerable about of time.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.