Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO 10/10T Changes Could Lower Your Credit Score

tag
greg_the_egg
Valued Member

Re: FICO Changes Could Lower Your Credit Score

For the sake of converstation, I've been thinking about how the last 2 years of utiliztion could be implemented. I'm thinking the Utilization (UT) factor of your overall score will be broken down into a few different sub categories like:

• Average UT over last 24 months
  • Avg UT over last 12 months
  • Avg UT over last 3 months

For simplicity, lets assume each sub category holds equal weight (~33.34%).  Also for simplicity, lets say the Utilization category as a whole is worth up to 100 points, with each subcategory worth a third. In order to maximize your score, you'd need to have a low  (<8.9%) UT during the entire 2 years. I put a quick table together to demostrate the idea:

Utilization Point Total (Max 100)64.3

RangeUtilization %UT Increase penaltyPoints
Last 2422.1NA18.0
First 1218.7NANA
Last 1225.5-513.0
Last 37.7033.3

This is just for entertainment purposes. I realize the scoring algorithm is a lot more complicated and certain formulas are adjusted if various elements are also presnt in a profile, but I'd bet that this is the jist of how utilization will be factored in with FICO 10 T. 

FICO8's: 815 - 838 (Winter '22)
5% | $196K
Message 111 of 216
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I'd conjectured this before but your thinking sort of drives it home @greg_the_egg : utilization percentage really is a useless metric under 10T.

That can always be gamed with the luv button and I'm sure lenders are aware of this.  Also installment debt isn't counted under that at all... hard to say how the base FICO 10 will look at stuff but 10T I strongly suspect is just going to go off dollar value.  Where this is truly cute is it doesn't matter what that actual base dollar is: someone who's living far larger than I am with possibly even smaller credit limits than I have, as long as our payment patterns (PIF) are the same month to month they'd get hit a lot harder under any FICO model in existence and that changing would be winning for us.

Did see in the WSJ article that it was trailing 24 months which seems like a long time to me but as one of the interviewed said it's about smoothing out the changes over time.  I have two revolving balances out of 18 open revolvers, and one of them over 30% of my individual limit and I drop 20 points on a mortgage score?  An entire mortgage tier when absolutely Chase and DCU and probably every other lender paying attention that I can cut a check for that balance (and actually did but I didn't overpay it to get it to $0)?  Bad FICO, I get it's the standard but I'm not an increased risk, at all, with that balance hanging out from last month.

Sure I can shrink it down to get back pretty again if I had to, though over 760 I'm not going to sweat it even after opening the conversation with Chase about a refi yesterday but the average consumer, or to be honest, the 99.99% consumer?  Doesn't understand this in the detail I do, not even close.  Why should they?  This is something nobody should have to care about as much as arguably any one of us do on this forum.  

• Miss a payment recently: big credit slap
  • Debt increasing over time: smaller credit ding

That second one catches changing payment patterns I suppose too, but anyway that's such a simple metric that everyone could understand without fancy calculations or anything else.  Pay your bills on time, pay more than the minimum and get out of debt (or at least high interest debt), and your credit score will reward you.  Credit and good financial health finally in lockstep across the entire debt spectrum which it is absolutely not today (unfortunately).

Benefit to humanity indeed... of course then you have FICO who will probably complicate it in the name of data, again, and meh.  

If they get right though, this is going to be really good in my opinion.  I haven't been a FICO cheerleader as a general rule, but this could be excellent.

        
Message 112 of 216
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 113 of 216
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah there's spot on NPR's Marketplace podcast too.

I still think some are missing the bigger picture but at least it's getting some attention.  Of course my local station is not airing it cause politics.

        
Message 114 of 216
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 115 of 216
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO 10T comeing to an application near you

Hey fico friends searched around and see no topics on it. new fico will be going into effect called FICO 10T.

Message 116 of 216
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO 10T comeing to an application near you

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey fico friends searched around and see no topics on it. new fico will be going into effect called FICO 10T.

@Anonymous, an active discussion already exists in the Credit in the News section of the forums.  Please see upthread.   Also, when citing any type of articles, please be sure it adheres to the following guidelines:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/Citing-articles-please-read-before-posting/td-p/53979

Message 117 of 216
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO 10T comeing to an application near you

@FinStar my bad searched wrong section. Thanks for the heads up.
Message 118 of 216
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Changes Coming to FICO Scores

According to an article published today by TPG, "The way FICO scores are calculated is changing pretty dramatically, and it could lower your credit score."

The article goes on to say, "FICO 10 T — the new reporting version — will place a greater weight on missed payments, meaning that consumers who have fallen behind on repayments will likely see a drop in their credit score. On the plus side, consumers could see a credit score increase if a delinquency is over a year old."

Message 119 of 216
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Re: Changes Coming to FICO Scores

Message 120 of 216
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.