Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO's domination coming under fire

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO's domination coming under fire

Apparently lawmakers last week slipped a provision in on a bank-deregulation bill that would require mortgage giants Fannie and Freddie to consider scores beyond FICO scores for mortgage consideration.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ficos-lock-on-mortgage-credit-scores-comes-under-fire-1521019801

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO's domination coming under fire

Sounds fine to me. No reason FHA loans should just use FICO. Plenty of scoring models.

Message 2 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Message 3 of 8
sueblue34
Frequent Contributor

I’m here for this change. Use new models
Message 4 of 8
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

While I have no love for any monopoly, I'm not sure I agree with the reasoning behind the drumbeat for a change.  I certainly don't agree with using a score generated by the same company that provides your credit report.

All the groups listed as advocating for a change basically want to make it easier to get a mortgage.  Regardless of whether the person pays the mortgage, PMI guarantees that the lender will get their money.  So why not make a $220K mortgage loan to Poor John who hasn't done anything other than pay $80 a month for a cell phone?   If he makes all his payments, great... If not, just making payments for the first two or three years before going into foreclosure nets them a nice profit after PMI makes them whole.

We tried that already in the early 2000's when the only qualifications were bascially "are you breathing?"  Look where that got us?  A nice big recession because so many people were defaulting on mortgages that they should have never been given.

I wouldn't have an issue with people who are on the bubble of qualifying for a loan having other histories considered as an additional factor to bump them into approval

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 5 of 8
marty56
Super Contributor

Given how long it takes for lenders to adapt to a new FICO score model, I'm suprised that the government would find it so easy to consider to do that not to mentioned this would all be done on our dime.  I think the government should follow the lead of private industry.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 6 of 8
silvius
New Contributor

Always be suspicious of what the real reason for this change is.  Can the lender then require that their own score is needed (and charge extra for it on top of that)?

January 2023: 850 (Equifax FICO 9)
Message 7 of 8
sueblue34
Frequent Contributor

The people who caused the crisis was the ones that were able to get mortgages on multiple property and then running up the HELOC.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.