Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed Injects Liquidity To Unfreeze Credit; Markets End Mixed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fed Injects Liquidity To Unfreeze Credit; Markets End Mixed

August 10, 2007: 08:05 PM EST

"The Federal Reserve injected $38 billion into the banking system in three operations Friday, attempting to avert a credit crunch that could threaten the economy.

The central bank pledged to provide cash as needed 'to facilitate the orderly functioning of financial markets.'

It was the Fed's biggest one-day injection since it added $81.25 billion shortly after 9-11. The Fed added $24 billion on Thursday."

Message Edited by masdeocho on 08-28-2007 06:35 PM
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fed Injects Liquidity To Unfreeze Credit; Markets End Mixed

Ah, but the Fed can't cut interest rates, because if it does the dollar is going to crash. If the dollar depreciates much further, OPEC is going to start demanding payment in currency other than dollars. Hello $120-a-barrel oil, goodbye U.S. economy. And once the run on the dollar begins, and central banks around the world unload dollars, Wal-Mart will be out of business.

All the Fed can do is grin real big, shovel out the "emergency" money (gee, they're not going to count that toward the federal debt, are they? Nah, didn't think so), and hope hundreds of billions of dollars in bad debt just...disappears. Maybe Tony Snow put his fairy godmother into his calling circle...
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I trade mortgages for a large money manager. In the current market environment of zero liquidity, I am unwilling to purchase any new mortgages. Even AAA-rated prime mortgages. The problem is, I am marked to market and I think there is more delevering to go. The primary dealers' balance sheets are all saturated, so their bid on any mortgage product is ugly.

This illiquidity in the secondary market creates a problem with mom and pop of main street getting a mortgage. You can say this is a Wall St. problem, not a main street problem, but if you connect the dots it will soon become a main street problem. Mortgage credit in this country is drying up rapidly. Wells Fargo raised their rates on prime jumbo mortgage loans because they have no place to off load the loan. In other words, it competes for room on their balance sheet with other investments, whereas before it would be securitized and sold. As a result, mortgage credit is extremely tight. This is a problem for Bernanke and the Fed. They have have left short term interest rates unchanged, but credit conditions have tightened dramatically. This will make its way into the "real" economy. I would argue that easing wouldn't be more accomodative, but rather just offsetting impact of a broken market. I know they don't want to be seen as bailing out Wall Street, hedge funds, or prop desks, but it may be something they will have to live with to avoid an anemic "real" economy. I promise you that denial of credit to prime borrowers will hurt the consumer (2/3 of GDP) and cause a further collapse of an already precarious residential real estate market.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote]I promise you that denial of credit to prime borrowers will hurt the consumer (2/3 of GDP) and cause a further collapse of an already precarious residential real estate market. [/quote]

A very ominous post for those who take the time to understand the jargon...
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.