Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed announces .5% interest rate cut

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fed announces .5% interest rate cut

I can't say that I'm surprised. I never thought I would have a 6.99% APR card but it looks like my NFCU Platinum will be just that!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/03/economy/federal-reserve-rate-cut/index.html

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Fed announces .5% interest rate cut

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't say that I'm surprised. I never thought I would have a 6.99% APR card but it looks like my NFCU Platinum will be just that!

I saw this earlier. My cards range from 12.4 to 17.24, except 2 Chase in the 20's. While I PIF, I'll certainly take it. 😂 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@blindambition wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I saw this earlier. My cards range from 12.4 to 17.24, except 2 Chase in the 20's. While I PIF, I'll certainly take it. 😂 

I PIF unless I have 0% but it's still gonna be nice to be able to say I have a 6.99% APR card without an 800 FICO! NFCU actually gave me my Platinum at lowest APR when my score was 647. 😂 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Although I've PIF since starting my credit journey, I'll take it anyway! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 11
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

After joining this site and learning a lot last year, I took what I learned and passed some knowledge to my daughters.  They both opened high yield savings accounts after finding out that the local bank that we've used for over 30 years was only paying something ridiculous (like 0.04%).  They setup accounts @ 2.2% and have really enjoyed watching the monthly statement showing how much they've earned.

Well, their savings accounts have dropped to 1.6% and I'm guessing they will drop another 0.5% very soon.

I wonder how much our local bank is at right now?  Probably -1.5% (you pay them to keep your money)???  Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 11
fuzzle
Regular Contributor

even the fake official inflation rate is 2.5% so interest less than that is a negative rate, but the government has the nerve devalue your money and tax it as income

Message 6 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@fuzzle wrote:

even the fake official inflation rate is 2.5% so interest less than that is a negative rate, but the government has the nerve devalue your money and tax it as income

Wow! .. Someone who actually understandsSmiley Wink

Message 7 of 11
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As someone who was enjoying the 4-figures in interest earned annually after 10 or so years of interest-rate nothingness created by the '08 recession....I'm falling back into sad panda mode.

Oh well, I'll always have you, my lovely, lovely, dividend income.

Message 8 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As someone who was enjoying the 4-figures in interest earned annually after 10 or so years of interest-rate nothingness created by the '08 recession....I'm falling back into sad panda mode.

Oh well, I'll always have you, my lovely, lovely, dividend income.

If we ever get treasury rates back towards 6-7% let alone the 20% we had a few decades back, I'd totally convert to nice conservative investments and just walk away and do something else for the rest of my life.

Blah I just have to get through 4/30 and I'll be caught up on all these damned expenses, moved, and no more California income taxes will be fine.  We'll see, my mortgage rates might drop to 3% before then and any sort of win on that front is a win even if I'm planning to absolutely obliterate one of them.

Guess I'll go get to look for the aggregate installment utilization line playing reindeer games with a mortgage Cat Tongue

        
Message 9 of 11
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

It's scary out there right now as monetary tools are ineffective, energy is in a bear market and governments don't have the will for fiscal stimulus.

The only thing I predict is the bond market should stay on 🔥 with banks cutting over the next week.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.