Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Nebraska's Poor, Get Sick and Get Sued

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

For Nebraska's Poor, Get Sick and Get Sued

Two years ago, the president of Credit Management Services, a collection agency in Grand Island, Nebraska, presented a struggling local family with the keys to a used 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis. To commemorate the donation, the company held a ceremony that concluded outside its offices, where the couple and their two young girls could try out their new car.

The family's story was dire: their eight-year-old daughter's failing kidney had led to multiple surgeries and a deluge of medical bills, according to an article in the local newspaper.

http://www.realclearhealth.com/articles/2016/05/02/for_nebraskas_poor_get_sick_and_get_sued_109855.h...

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: For Nebraska's Poor, Get Sick and Get Sued

That's just crazy

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So sad.

Message 3 of 6
elim
Senior Contributor

CMS has a pretty good scam going there.  Ruining peoples already dismal financial lives for monetary gain when they are down.  I'm paying a bunch of med debt this year... It sux.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical debt is the leading cause of BK in the US.  Unfortunately the situation isn't likely to change until we move to a single payer system.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical is crazy. I currently pay 577mo. 3000$ deductibles per person. So 15k a year in deductibles plus almost another 7k in premiums. We've already had to pay some hefty bills this year. I'll probably hit 2 of the deductibles this year. For around 13k out of pocket this year alone. That's just for medical. Out of pocket for dental I'm at about 5k this year and still have to put braces on one kid and that's 6500.
So all said and done I'll have 20k ish paid out this year. I have care credit which helps with the dental for financing.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.