cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GE Capital set exit retail lending

tag
hpythons

GE Capital set exit retail lending

Can anyone elaborate on what this means for cardholders.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100999070
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: GE Capital set exit retail lending

It means GE capital will be a brand new entity managed by itself.

Current cardholders may see some disruptions, or changes in policies. Overall its pretty much the same as when a card product is sold to another bank.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 18
Rackham94
Established Contributor

Get the 4th statement cut-off CLI while you can kids

Message 3 of 18
bobbay
Established Contributor

Rackham94  What do you mean by that statement.

To me it would indicate the people in this division would be under pressure to keep delinquencies low, customer growth high to maximize ipo demand.  I am not sure I would expect big changes until they have pulled a significant portion of money out.  If sold in parts or individual card/brand lines then I would expect account reviews and # of cards and total line exposure to get stronger review.

If I had really high limits or lots of GEMB cards I would expect trimming may get done for you in the future.  Does that sound rational?

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 4 of 18
Rackham94
Established Contributor

Seems rational of course and your statements are correct in an aspect depicting typical performance when a company sells its segment to another entity.. e.g. Best Buy Rewards HSBC>Cap 1> Citi anyone could get a BBY card back then currently with GE being primary lender ability to increase revolving credit lines to its customers is very feasible due to performance however; I forecast a change in risk assessment and strategy in the future. I may be wrong but it seems like a firm assumption.

Message 5 of 18
bobbay
Established Contributor

I was thinking the same thing.  I am curious to see how this plays out.  I could see both happening in the short run.  Expand credit and customer base to show strong growth but weather now or the near future risk management will look to prune/manage risk exposure.  I think one thing is for sure, the game is about to change with the way the GE cards work.

I have none, was looking at getting a Lowes card for some projects but, I just finshed an app spree. ;(

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 6 of 18
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

I wonder if this includes GECRB cards or just the GE Capital ones that will be affected ?

SisterGirl
SisterGirl
Message 7 of 18
TheConductor
Established Contributor

This doesn't necessarily bode any changes to GE lending practices.

They are spinning off the lending division in order to minimize the main company's exposure risk.  In other words, they want to goose their stock price higher by jettisoning the most risky part of the business that worries investors.

If any changes do happen in the new spun-off company, they're unlikely to come overnight.

Retail credit is a niche that has to be filled by someone, and I am sure that in the near term they will continue to fill it in much the same way they always have.

Nothing in the press-release-pretty-much-verbatim-quoted-as-an-article suggests otherwise. Fundamentally this is about GE stock price, not about anything being wrong with GECRB per se.

In fact, the analysis here suggests that the real risk is in GE Capital's real estate subdivision, not in the significantly more profitable GE Capital Retail Bank that underwrites all those store cards. 

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 8 of 18
starry1
Valued Contributor

@TheConductor wrote:

This doesn't necessarily bode any changes to GE lending practices.

They are spinning off the lending division in order to minimize the main company's exposure risk.  In other words, they want to goose their stock price higher by jettisoning the most risky part of the business that worries investors.

If any changes do happen in the new spun-off company, they're unlikely to come overnight.

Retail credit is a niche that has to be filled by someone, and I am sure that in the near term they will continue to fill it in much the same way they always have.

Nothing in the press-release-pretty-much-verbatim-quoted-as-an-article suggests otherwise. Fundamentally this is about GE stock price, not about anything being wrong with GECRB per se.

In fact, the analysis here suggests that the real risk is in GE Capital's real estate subdivision, not in the significantly more profitable GE Capital Retail Bank that underwrites all those store cards. 

This makes the msot sense to me.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 9 of 18
Mike1inTX
Valued Member

Asked for an increase on my Walmart store card.  Denied.    6th statement from last increase

Letter arrived yesterday.  Reason stated: number of inquiries.   TU has 1 inquiry on 10 / 2012 from Chase.    EQ zero EX zero

CL  $3300     Utilities  Less the 1 %   Walmart credit score 745

Seems like GE is tightening the belt quick.

Some folks have posted that all their GE accounts are frozen and under review.

First CLI request from GE denied for me since 2009.

Looks like changes are already underway.

ScoresSmiley Embarassed
EX 820
EQ 823
TU 819
BK 08/08
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.