cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GE Capital set exit retail lending

tag
720andBeyond
Valued Member

GE possibly leaving the retail financing markets....???

I was reading a report that GE is considering pulling out of retail financing as early as next year. I don't know how accurate that is, but if it is true I think that would affect a great deal of people here who use GE to help rebuild their credit and for their nice CLI's and credit limits.

Message 11 of 18
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: GE possibly leaving the retail financing markets....???

I only read that they will stop financing to gun retailers..

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 12 of 18
elvigy
Contributor

Looks like they are spinning off the retail lending segment according to an article in the Wall Street Journal. Are links allowed?

Amex BCP | Barclaycard Arrival WMC | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature | Discover IT
Message 13 of 18
jeffery581
Established Contributor

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ge-set-exit-retail-lending-050400395.html

GE Set to Exit Retail Lending

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 14 of 18
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

I dont think this woud apply to gas cards since just last month 76 gas cards were sold to GE from CITI.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 15 of 18
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Re: GE Capital set exit retail lending

@Mike1inTX wrote:

Asked for an increase on my Walmart store card.  Denied.    6th statement from last increase

[...]

Seems like GE is tightening the belt quick.

<incident that happened to one person>

<broad generalization of that incident to everyone>

Not really sound logic.

The recent reporting of 90-day freezes and account audits holds a little more water, but as far as I can tell there have been 4 forum members who reported that out of the entire forum membership.  And GE cards are very popular amongst the membership, so it feels too soon to call this a trend.

Nor are these 90 day audits something new:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/All-GE-Lovers-Check-this-out/m-p/2389411#M675793

I'm not saying that some of the recent activity on GE credit accounts can't eventually turn out to be related to this planned spin-off/IPO of the lending division. Just that it's highly speculative to assume the sky is falling when all we've got is a handful of raindrops at this point.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 16 of 18
linux007969
Established Contributor

Re: GE Capital set exit retail lending

Aparently GE has been up to this for a while now, just found an article dating back to May of this year....

http://www.americanbanker.com/issues/178_100/ge-consumer-unit-more-likely-to-buy-a-bank-than-sell-to...

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 17 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.