GM's Prez Begs Customers To Plead On GM's Behalf

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: GM's Prez Begs Customers To Plead On GM's Behalf

@wmarat wrote:
http://consumerist.com/5092147/gms-prez-begs-customers-to-plead-on-gms-behalf

The first car I ever owned -- a 1977 Buick -- is the reason every car I've owned since then was made by Subara, Honda, or Toyota.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

From an economical stand point, you can't go wrong with a Honda. I have owned a few, along with a few Acuras. Good dependable cars. I hate to sound un-patriotic, when people say GM cars are good these days, I tend to disagree. I would take a new civic over a new Cobalt any day of the week. I would take a new accord over a new impala.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not to jack the thread, but I was wondering; if Ford tanks, what will happen to the Mazda?
Message 4 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

I wont buy another American made car until the auto unions go away.  I would conisder an electric car if it was affordable (under 30k).

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 10
MattH
Senior Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

I wont buy another American made car until the auto unions go away. I would conisder an electric car if it was affordable (under 30k).

During the disastrous tenure of James Callaghan as Prime Minister my father was a Visiting Professor in England and even to a politically-naive teenager like me it was extremely obvious that British unions had gone way out of control. We had rolling blackouts due to strikes by coal miners and utility workers, and our car was an awful piece of junk from the nationalized car maker British Leyland. There was even a strike by the local STRIP DANCERS UNION, believe it or not (the papers had some fun with that one, running headlines like "union leader bares all," and throwaway lines like "the most attractive union steward this reporter has ever interviewed" ).

Shortly after we returned to the US, Thatcher became Prime Minister and started an epic battle with the unions.  I did not then and do not now agree with her on every issue, but it was clear that her country badly needed somebody like her to kick some much needed rear ends.  The Labour Party had to spend some years in the wilderness learning the appropriate lessons about competence and economic reality before they could return to power.

Message Edited by MattH on 11-19-2008 07:19 AM
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ford bought out Mazda so more than likely...Mazda will be considered as tanked also. Geesh gotta get the 8 sold asap!
Message Edited by Bran9192 on 11-20-2008 02:21 PM
Message 7 of 10
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ford bought out Mazda so more than likely...Mazda will be considered as tanked also. Geesh gotta get the 8 sold asap!
Message Edited by Bran9192 on 11-20-2008 02:21 PM

Maybe Ford will spin off Mazda to raise some cash, who knows?  The latest from Capitol Hill is they basically told the carmakers, "you have twelve days to come back to us with a convincing turnaround plan before we'll consider giving you money."

Message 8 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

They used private jets to go to Washington.  Dumb and Dummer.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 10
MattH
Senior Contributor

@marty56 wrote:
They used private jets to go to Washington.  Dumb and Dummer.

Like most airlines and some hotel chains, the Detroit car execs appear to have lost sight of a fundamental truth: making a significant number of customers despise you is not a long-term survival strategy.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.