Ugenie7
Valued Member

Gas Stations Rushing To Install Chip Readers

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Gas Stations Rushing To Install Chip Readers

Good info and about time. Gas stations are typically where they first test stolen cards...
Message 2 of 16
Ugenie7
Valued Member

I haven't found anything on wether the October date has being pushed out due to covid yet. I suspect it has but hasn't been announced yet.

Message 3 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Ugenie7 wrote:

I haven't found anything on wether the October date has being pushed out due to covid yet. I suspect it has but hasn't been announced yet.

I doubt it, I hope they don't anyway and I drive an EV now anyway.

Original deadline was pushed back half a decade and again they sat on their hands.  F em, start making them pay for their laziness and they will get their poop in a group in a hurry.

Yup I know it costs money but it would have been cheaper for them to do it before, now with shortages and their whining about obtaining labor and hardware, should not have procrastinated.

Admittedly it makes it super easy for me: if I see a charge from a gas station other than food when driving cross county I know it's fraud.

Actually, since I got my Tesla?  I have had zero fraud issues, none.  They were a fairly regular occurrence 1-2 times a year previously.  I know causality doesn't mean totality but still.

        
Message 4 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It happened already at BP in Fl. I put my card in, went to pull it out and WTH? Tugged on it. Screen said "Reading Card"

Message 5 of 16
Ugenie7
Valued Member

@FireMedic1 wrote:

It happened already at BP in Fl. I put my card in, went to pull it out and WTH? Tugged on it. Screen said "Reading Card"

Good!

Did it swallow the whole card? I suppose so to be backwards compatible for the mag stripe.

Message 6 of 16
Ugenie7
Valued Member

@Revelate 

I agree with everything you said!

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ugenie7 wrote:

As I think back on your information ... when the financial industry got into setting dates for chip reader installation compliance, they adjusted the gas station provider installation dates after there was a squack from the industry. Seemed to recall they were given until 2020 to comply (an extension to 2020 was confirmed). All the excitement goes back to 2015 through 2017 setting the requirements.

Will add that clear back to August 2015 Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express eliminated the requirement for a signature with Chip transactions. With the COVID-19 situation many of the places I go the Chip & Signature was modified to stop the Signature. Finally!

The funny part in all this is, modern day applications do NOT have an actual signature on file so how can there be an approval of something that doesn't exist unless you had the clerk verify the signature with the one on the back of the card if there is one! Back in the old days (way back) using paper applications we did have an actual signature and that went out with the Dinosaur!!! Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 16
Ugenie7
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ugenie7 wrote:

As I think back on your information ... when the financial industry got into setting dates for chip reader installation compliance, they adjusted the gas station provider installation dates after there was a squack from the industry. Seemed to recall they were given until 2020 to comply (an extension to 2020 was confirmed). All the excitement goes back to 2015 through 2017 setting the requirements.

Will add that clear back to August 2015 Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express eliminated the requirement for a signature with Chip transactions. With the COVID-19 situation many of the places I go the Chip & Signature was modified to stop the Signature. Finally!

The funny part in all this is, modern day applications do NOT have an actual signature on file so how can there be an approval of something that doesn't exist unless you had the clerk verify the signature with the one on the back of the card if there is one! Back in the old days (way back) using paper applications we did have an actual signature and that went out with the Dinosaur!!! Smiley Sad

I was prompted for my signature a couple weeks ago. I thought it was strange that they didn't have a signature to compare with.

Way back in time the cashier at a store was supposed to check your signature on the back of your card with the signature on your drivers license.

I also remember cashier's used to check a printed master list of stolen card numbers. 

Hmmm, I don't remember if I remembered that right! 🤔

Message 9 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ugenie7 wrote:

And actually I signed mortgage and employment documents with a mouse, to say nothing of the rise of electronic signature of legal documents anyway.

My cursive handwriting is admittedly wretched to begin with but my mouse siggy is downright unlegible and uncomparible anyway: it would take me thousands if not millions of attempts to duplicate trying to scrawl it with the mouse.

        
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.