Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas Stations Rushing To Install Chip Readers

tag
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

Re: Gas Stations Rushing To Install Chip Readers

While they should’ve forced the deadline years ago, I still shake my head that contactless readers aren’t even considered here. The pumps that have them should be lauded and followed as example, instead we’re dragging on chips still.
Message 11 of 16
Ugenie7
Valued Member

More info. It doesn't look like Visa or MasterCard are going to back down.

How to tell if gas pump has a chip reader or just not active yet.

Put a piece of masking tape on the mag stripe of your card then insert onto the pumps card reader.

I did this at a new looking Murphy USA (Wal-Mart) pump and get a read error after 3 tries. I removed masking tape and got my gas.

The pump has a sticker which looked like the pump has been upgraded.20200522_124900-Pump~3.jpg

Message 12 of 16
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

They had more than five years to install them, so it's their own problem. 

Message 13 of 16
Ugenie7
Valued Member

Indeed!

It does make me wonder if some gas stations will stop accepting credit cards altogether?

Then they can gain more time to install chip readers and see what kind of impact a no credit card policy would have on their business.

I'm sure some people would just use their debit card instead.

Of course there's the option to take my business elsewhere too!

Message 14 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@icednightpaper wrote:
While they should’ve forced the deadline years ago, I still shake my head that contactless readers aren’t even considered here. The pumps that have them should be lauded and followed as example, instead we’re dragging on chips still.

The Circle-K I stop at once a week has contactless readers on the pumps... I can either tap my card or use Samsung Pay. Smiley Happy

There are several other stations within a quarter mile, but I always stop at Circle-K because of this.

Message 15 of 16
MrT_521
Regular Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

The Circle-K I stop at once a week has contactless readers on the pumps... I can either tap my card or use Samsung Pay. Smiley Happy There are several other stations within a quarter mile, but I always stop at Circle-K because of this.

I am an expat, but my US home is Pennsylvania where Sheetz is big. I moved outside the US in 2018, but at that time Sheetz was adding contactless payment at the pump. I would get gas at Sheetz for that reason. Why, they probably even paid for the upgrade just by the $50/month I spent there for a few months! Smiley Wink

(Or maybe not...)

Personal Cards

Business Cards

Debit Cards

FICO 8 Scores (as of Dec 14, 2022)

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.