Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goldman Sachs may lose money on the Apple Card in the next recession

tag
Medic981
Valued Contributor

• The Apple Card from Goldman Sachs will be “highly sensitive” to rising net charge offs, and thanks to thin margins, the bank will start to lose money if losses reach about 8%, according to analysts led by Nomura’s Bill Carcache.
  • “We would expect Goldman Sachs to face its fair share of volatility in the next recession,” Carcache says.
  • Up next for Goldman and Apple could be a joint debit card, the analyst speculates.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Goldman Sachs may lose money on the Apple Card in the next recession

It will be  interesting to see how it goes.  They have been rather generous with giving out cards and "appear" to have very favorable approval odds.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

For what I have read, or Goldman is pretty desperate trying to grab market share in the credit card market, or it just does not make a lot of sense. The terms are too generous, and taking in count the number of approvals, something does not match here. But if a recession happens soon we can be sure that Goldman will be one of the first to feel it.

Message 3 of 7
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

@Medic981 wrote:

I mean, based on the posts in the Approvals forum, they're giving them away like candy. They know that statistically a certain % of people will go into debt with them and if they were smart they factored in our regular recessions. I'm surprised things didn't start declining sooner.

AU

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well they're hedging their bets by not accepting me. (Excellent payment and utilization, decently high spenderr, but short history)

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

it all did seem too good to be true in a way. I haven't gotten the apple card myself but I will definitely be interested to see how it all plays out

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if we’ll start seeing limits slashed?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.