tag
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

Grocery Chain WinCo to stop accepting credit cards in Oklahoma due to inflation

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Grocery Chain WinCo to stop accepting credit cards in Oklahoma due to inflation

I see that they'll still accept debit cards, but I wonder how many people will decide to dust off their checkbooks now ?  Smiley Very Happy

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 6
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

Re: Grocery Chain WinCo to stop accepting credit cards in Oklahoma due to inflation

@pizzadude wrote:

I see that they'll still accept debit cards, but I wonder how many people will decide to dust off their checkbooks now ?  Smiley Very Happy

LOTS will.  The WinCo stores here in Nevada never took credit cards that I know of.  Cash or debit card only.  The one nearest me is always busy.  I shop there for the bulk of my groceries because their prices are way better than Albertsons or Smiths (Kroger).  WAY better.  Given the current economic situation many people will do everything they have to in order to save money and stretch their budget.  If they get more for their grocery budget at WinCo or spend less on the total purchase either way not using a credit card is moot.  Only those being forced to live off credit cards will be out of options.

Message 3 of 6
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

WinCo stores in my region have not accepted credit cards in a very long time (if ever!).

And that is reflected in the savings at the register.   Even getting 6% grocery cashback on my AMEX BCP card doesn't come close to using a debit card at WinCo for most all traditional grocery staples.

WinCo not for everyone, but I appreciate having them not far away as an option, i shop there once or twice a month.   If I did the math I should be shopping there more!

||
Message 4 of 6
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

@MachoHombre wrote:

WinCo stores in my region have not accepted credit cards in a very long time (if ever!).

And that is reflected in the savings at the register.   Even getting 6% grocery cashback on my AMEX BCP card doesn't come close to using a debit card at WinCo for most all traditional grocery staples.

WinCo not for everyone, but I appreciate having them not far away as an option, i shop there once or twice a month.   If I did the math I should be shopping there more!

I LOVE that they post what many of the items would cost you at local chain stores compared to their prices.  Another bonus is their bulk foods section.  There are quite a few staples I buy in bulk.  To me WinCo has all the grocery benefits of Sam's Club or Costco without the membership fee or the requirement to buy a 55 gallon jug of mayonnaise since I am shopping for just me.  Requiring debit or cash only isn't going to hurt their bottom line one bit.

Message 5 of 6
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@MachoHombre wrote:

+1

I actually did the math a few years ago and found that a basket of identical items cost 40% less at WinCo than my regular, household name grocery store. I find their produce and meats unappealing, but for everything else, they're great!

My WinCo has never accepted credit cards either. This was one reason I got a Kasasa checking account with a local credit union. I direct deposit a little money there out of each paycheck and use the debit card at WinCo and for just enough other small, uncategorized purchases each month to qualify for Kasasa's 2% cashback. As long as I don't need purchase protection on my pasta, it's perfect!

Another workaround is to use the CC of your choice to buy Visa gift cards at Staples when they run their monthly special of waiving activation fees on $200 GCs. Assign a PIN to the GC before using it. Then use the GC at WinCo as if it were a debit card. For most people, that's probably too much hassle to justify the savings, but it works.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.