Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC leaving US.

tag
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: HSBC leaving US.

When I commented, I made the "leap" that credit cards were part of Retail Banking...or tucked under Retail Loans/lending that would be part of banking...similar to mortgage services etc.  Guess we'll see...

Message 11 of 122
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Curious_George2 wrote:

@K-in-Boston: Weird. I have had an HSBC card since 2005, and my experience with it doesn't match what you describe. I never knew about the sale of portfolio to Capital One, and I never saw any evidence that my account left HSBC's hands. I just checked an old credit report from 2012 and it doesn't show the account duplicated/transfered as you describe, or anything out of the ordinary. Is it possible they retained some accounts, including mine?

Setting that aside, any speculation about what this news report means for their U.S. credit card business is just that: speculation. Right? The article addresses "retail banking" and talks about branch closures. But it says nothing about credit cards, which I assume are in a separate division of the company from retail banking.  I don't have any bank accounts with HSBC, but just today, I recieved an email from them, inviting me to sign up for something called Direct Checking, which they bill as an "easy, no-fee, online-only checking account."  Perhaps they are trying to keep just enough of a banking presence here to service their CC holders. Or maybe the marketing department just hasn't gotten the memo yet. Smiley LOL

Don't get me wrong -- I dislike HSBC. I only keep the card open because it's old and free. They are the black sheep of my CC issuers and I wouldn't necessary shed any tears if they sold my account... but of course, much depends on who buys it.

@Curious_George2 

The Retail Banking piece of HSBC Bank USA, N.A. includes Credit Card loans.  Also, keep in mind that while you may still be receiving any direct promotional marketing, it is still business as usual until any final deals have been assessed and completed.  So, until an official announcement is made, we can only go by what's been published so far.  

Plus, the potential sale/divestiture is addressing the exit from a specific Line of Business, in this case the Retail Banking and Wealth Management side (and it includes CCs).  Currently, HSBC Bank USA, N.A. is grouped into the following 4 LOBs: 

Retail Banking and Wealth Management

Commercial Banking

Global Banking and Markets

Private Bank

Also, the following article points out:

"But HSBC's commentary that the U.S. is integral to its global corporate and institutional businesses, along with media reports, suggests that a more modest divestiture is possible. The wealth and personal banking business at HSBC USA Inc. had $48.48 billion in deposits and $23.82 billion of loans at Sept. 30. At the right price, an operation like that might be of interest to a range of regional banks such as U.S. Bancorp, Citizens Financial Group Inc., KeyCorp and M&T Bank Corp., Keefe Bruyette & Woods analyst Brian Klock said."

https://www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence/en/news-insights/latest-news-headlines/major-overhaul-un...

Message 12 of 122
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Tagging @Anonymous for this topic.

Message 13 of 122
Ah-Chew228
New Contributor

To be honest, I am a bit disappointed. I opened a Premier checking with them early last year, and have not had any negative experiences with them. Since the initial checking, I have been approved for their Elite and Advance MCs and opened two Premier savings, in addition to the high yield (not so high anymore) online savings.

Message 14 of 122
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

@Ah-Chew228 wrote:

To be honest, I am a bit disappointed. I opened a Premier checking with them early last year, and have not had any negative experiences with them. Since the initial checking, I have been approved for their Elite and Advance MCs and opened two Premier savings, in addition to the high yield (not so high anymore) online savings.

Have you ever used their online banking? That's reason enough not to bank with HSBC alone. 

Message 15 of 122
Anonymous
Not applicable

HSBC US sells retail banking, loans, and credit cards to Citizens Bank (RI)

Bummer. Recently opened a deposit account and travel card with HSBC. I knew a sale was a possibility, but I figured there was a decent chance that whichever bank purchased the accounts would have similar or better products.

Citizens may be good to their deposit account customers, but they don't do much with their cards: one has 1.8% flat cash back, and the other is a low APR no-reward card. That's it.  I'll be hanging on until I collect the sign-up bonuses, but this is probably the excuse I needed to migrate to PenFed.

HSBC exits US mass market retail banking - About HSBC | HSBC USA

Message 16 of 122
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: HSBC US sells retail banking, loans, and credit cards to Citizens Bank (RI)

I'm not surprised. Despite being one of the largest banks in the world, they did a poor job of acquiring business in the U.S.

Message 17 of 122
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

Just read every article I could find regarding the sales to Citizens and Cathay.  Nothing mentioned about credit cards. 

Are you sure HSBC is exiting U.S. market on credit cards?  

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 18 of 122
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's confusing because HSBC doesn't refer to credit cards specifically . . . they just mention they are selling $2.2B in loans to Citizens.
(edit: and $800m to Cathay)

But if you look at the Citizens website, they provide a more detailed breakdown of that $2.2B. It sure looks like they're buying credit card accounts from HSBC.

2021-branch-acquisition-presentation-final.pdf (citizensbank.com) 

Message 19 of 122
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Bummer. Recently opened a deposit account and travel card with HSBC. I knew a sale was a possibility, but I figured there was a decent chance that whichever bank purchased the accounts would have similar or better products.

Citizens may be good to their deposit account customers, but they don't do much with their cards: one has 1.8% flat cash back, and the other is a low APR no-reward card. That's it.  I'll be hanging on until I collect the sign-up bonuses, but this is probably the excuse I needed to migrate to PenFed.

HSBC exits US mass market retail banking - About HSBC | HSBC USA

In remembering back to around 2008 ... HSBC made foot prints in the sand leaving the United States. At the time I was a customer and did well with them. To no avail however, much of their US business went to and FI in the United States (that actually had headquarters elsewhere). Before the transfer of customers, I closed all my HSBC relationships. Very surprised they came back and here we are again, in a somewhat similar situation. Interesting!

Message 20 of 122
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.