cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hilarious. Walmart Sells You An Empty Box Instead Of A Laptop , but...

tag
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Hilarious. Walmart Sells You An Empty Box Instead Of A Laptop , but...

Walmart Sells You An Empty Box Instead Of A Laptop -- But You Bought It With Stolen Credit Cards

http://consumerist.com/5063413/walmart-sells-you-an-empty-box-instead-of-a-laptop-++-but-you-bought-...

You know how sometimes in football both teams will screw up on the same play and the penalties will offset? We've just found the fraud version of that situation. Three men brought a laptop computer box to Walmart and said that they'd been sold an empty box. Walmart thought they were being scammed, so they called the police. That's when all hell broke loose.

When the police arrived on the scene, one of the three men ran away, dropping credit cards on the ground. It turns out that these credit cards were fakes encoded with real stolen credit card numbers. The men were arrested and there's now an ongoing investigation as to the origin of the numbers... but here's the hilarious part — Walmart actually did sell these guys an empty box instead of a laptop.

The AP says:

The counterfeit credit cards were encoded with valid stolen credit card numbers and police say an investigation is ongoing to identify the account holders.

Store employees later discovered they had indeed sold an empty box to the three men.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hilarious. Walmart Sells You An Empty Box Instead Of A Laptop , but...

That is FUNNY!!!!!!!!!
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome!
Message 3 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Question: how dumb do you have to be to not realize that the laptop box is empty?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Question: how dumb do you have to be to not realize that the laptop box is empty?

Answer: Dumb enough to RETURN to the store and complain about it -- knowing you bought it with stolen credit!

Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 8
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

Gotta love this story.Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My guess is they must have been in a pretty big hurry to get out of walmart to not notice the box was empty. I have a dino of a lap top and I strain to carry it with one hand when it isn't in a carry case.

All I have to say is Karma is kind to the kind and a real *&!%$ to deal with when your bad!

Message 7 of 8
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Fot the true's sake, today's laptops are very light.

Amy, I agree very much with Karma part.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.