Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holiday Shopping Fuels The Return Of Credit Card Debt

tag
ntx
Regular Contributor

Holiday Shopping Fuels The Return Of Credit Card Debt

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/27/holiday-shopping-fuels-the-return-of-credit-card-debt.html

Overall, credit card balances rose by $17 billion in the third quarter of 2021, according to the most recent data from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York...

In the fourth quarter, fueled by the return of holiday plans, consumers charged billions more...

By the end of the year, Americans are now on track to end up with $70 billion more in credit card debt, according to a projection by personal finance site WalletHub...

The average household’s card balance is now $8,006, WalletHub found...

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Holiday Shopping Fuels The Return Of Credit Card Debt

I wonder what the stats would be if it were to include all of the Afterpay/Klarna/etc. lenders...

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 6
ntx
Regular Contributor

That's a great question. I'm sure it would be a lot more. I've read those buy now pay later services are getting more popular. 

And related, I just saw this:

Equifax is adding buy now, pay later payments to credit reports. Here’s how it could affect your sco...

Message 3 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Paid off $83 billion in 2020 and only racked up $17 billion in 2021?

Still winning... no great secret more money gets spent around the holiday season which was admittedly elongated with what retailers did to address the supply chain issues.  My spending was insane for me this year, apparently I had $20000 in negative cash flow (more money spent than what came in) which I've never had in any year I was actually employed, but a lot of that was because of making somewhat large changes in my life... moved again, sold the LA condo which is weird accounting but some expense there, and an annoying large tuition bill but get busy living or get busy dying on that front.  I did have *stupid* spending though which in this New Year I will be fixing, won't have as much time to be bored.

I strongly suspect from what I've heard in various media shows that a lot of other people were doing the same thing as me... 2020 was spent pretty much hunkering down, 2021 and this last quarter especially most people are just exasperated and are making non-trivial changes which ultimately are going to get financed somehow and that usually means credit card debt for most consumers.  

I guess I just don't see it as that scary of a statistic as there's some fairly obvious macro- and socio-economic rationale for it.

        
Message 4 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

It's $17b in Q3 2021 alone, estimated $70b for 2021 total, per the article summary. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 6
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Honestly, I'm surprised it wasn't more, what with the great resignation and all. My debt has gone up while we adjust budget after I spontaneously quit and went to a job paying less.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.